Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

elocke
Frequent Visitor

Many-to-One Relationship Breaks Cumulative Total!

Need help getting a DAX cumulative total to work across two tables with a many-to-one relationship!

I have two very simple tables (A dates table, and a people table) connected by a "Name" column.

image.png

image.png

All I want to do is create a summarized table by date with the cumulative total of people, and a target value.

Here's the code for my DAX summarized table:

image.png

When the two tables have a 1-to-1 relationship, this code works perfectly!! Unfortunately, as soon as I have more than one record per name in my people table, and the relationship becomes a many-to-one relationship, the cumulative total stops counting cumulatively, and simply returns the total for that record.

Is there a way to get around this?? I've already tried using the "all" function, but that didn't help either.

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
elocke
Frequent Visitor

Found the issue.

All I had to do was change the summarized table to the dates table instead of the people table. Send a kudo if you love the ever miniscule subtlties of Power BI table relationships and DAX. 🙂

image.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
memada
Frequent Visitor

this is most helpful 🙂 I struggled with this for way too long 😔

elocke
Frequent Visitor

Found the issue.

All I had to do was change the summarized table to the dates table instead of the people table. Send a kudo if you love the ever miniscule subtlties of Power BI table relationships and DAX. 🙂

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors