Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ITbean
Frequent Visitor

Manager-level RLS filtering based on "Is Manager" stored in a dimension table

I've read about manager-level RLS where the "Is Manager" field is a column in the employee or user table, but I'd like to implement this security where the "Is Manager" field is in a table that lists the level or pay grade of the employees with a column that defines if that level is a manager or not.

My data model (a simplified version of my real one):

Data_TimeWorked

IDDateDurationCustomerIDEmployeeID
11/1/202021011
21/1/202022012
31/1/202022253
41/1/202022354
51/1/202021105
61/1/202021165

Employee

IDNamePayGrade_IDEmail
1Son Beverlin1son.beverlin@constoso.com
2Cedric Brightwell2cedric.brightwell@constoso.com
3Deonna Borgman3deonna.borgman@constoso.com
4Laveta Hemstreet4laveta.hemstreet@constoso.com

Dim_PayGrade

IDLevelDescriptionIs Manager
110Leader1
27Manager1
35Supervisor0
43Staff0
51Minion0

There are 1:many relationships from 'Employee'[ID] to 'Data_TimeWorked'[EmployeeID] and

from 'Dim_PayGrade'[ID] to 'Employee'[PayGrade_ID]

What I seek to do is provide anyone with Manager or above level access to all the data in Data_TimeWorked but for those below Manager to have access only to their own data.

I have tried implementing dynamic RLS with a DAX filter on the Employee table, but so far I'm finding I am lacking in my grasp of DAX filtering, as I can't get syntax that works or I'm trying to apply it to the wrong place.

I tried this but couldn't get the syntax to check out:

If(

MaxX(

Filter(

'Employee','Employee'[Email]=UserPrincipalName())

,RELATED('Dim_PayGrade'[Is Manager])=0,

'Employee'[Email]=UserPrincipalName(),

1=1

)

Also tried:

IF(

LOOKUPVALUE(

'Dim_PayGrade'[Is Manager],

'Employee'[Email],

USERPRINCIPALNAME()

)=0,

[Email] = UserPrincipalName(),

True()

)

I am relatively new to Power BI by the total amount of time I've spent working with it and Power Pivot, but I feel kind of stuck on this issue and I think I'm missing something relatively fundamental, but can't figure out what.  

A big thanks to anyone who can help me with this.  

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please check this post may be it will help you.

https://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-with-organizational-hierarchy-power-bi

Thanks,
Pravin

If it resolves your problem mark it as a solution and give Kudos.

I appreciate your reply, but that's one of the articles I've read before posting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

path  function and path item is missing in your case . please check post one more time.

Thanks & regards,
Pravin Wattamwar
www.linkedin.com/in/pravin-p-wattamwar

If I resolve your problem Mark it as a solution and give kudos.

check my blog here
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Connecting-to-a-Tabular-Model-Using-Power-BI/ba-p/91...

I am trying to do Manager-level access as explained here, but with a difference in where I store the "Is Manager" value.

https://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-with-manager-level-access-in-power-bi

I'm not sure how the path applied to my use case, as I am not track WHO manages WHO, but rather just whether a user is a manager or not.  Our organization does not have definitive chain of command, as our staff are pooled.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors