Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FatherTheWizard
Resolver I
Resolver I

MAX value separately by one column's different values

Hi

I would like to have a DAX to solve this (I could create a helper table quite easily in QE). Example table:

CountryCost per itemDate

US

US1001.2.2021
US1201.3.2021
GB10001.4.2021

What I would like to achieve?

- DAX would be called "Cost per item by country" 

- Logic: the MAX Value by country regardless of the date

-Use case: this would be used as helper measure to calculate total cost ([Cost per item by country] * [Volume] -> I need to take into consideration country differences in cost price, but no timeline/date differences (just use the max of the country).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think your suggestion only does the removal of time/date in the formula. In my model the main problem is that it that current formula suggestions do not do the calculations by row/country if my table does not have a country in it. So if I dont have country the MAX chooses the largest number of the whole table (without considering the country differences) and thus the total result is wrong. If country is a dimension in the table, then it calculates it correctly.

I did a workaround and created just a helper table for this and it of course did the trick. Maybe some day I know how to work these around directly with DAX (or understand when it does not make sense to try to tackle with DAX).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@FatherTheWizard 

Use this measure:

Cost per item by country = 
CALCULATE(  
    MAX(Table[Cost per item]),
    REMOVEFILTERS(Table[Date])
)
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

I think your suggestion only does the removal of time/date in the formula. In my model the main problem is that it that current formula suggestions do not do the calculations by row/country if my table does not have a country in it. So if I dont have country the MAX chooses the largest number of the whole table (without considering the country differences) and thus the total result is wrong. If country is a dimension in the table, then it calculates it correctly.

I did a workaround and created just a helper table for this and it of course did the trick. Maybe some day I know how to work these around directly with DAX (or understand when it does not make sense to try to tackle with DAX).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors