Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Coxy_CMV
Helper I
Helper I

Lose granularity with DAX filter applied when adding filter

Please could I ask for help. I think that I have a simple error in my formula but can not see what it is. I hope that I have not missed a previous post - I maybe describing it incorrectly.

Still very green but here we go:

I am using Power Pivot and with the following formula I get the desired results as shown below but have to filter the latest date out as they are not required in the pivot table. I have filtered out the date 06/07/20. Next week I need to filter out 14/07/20 and so on.  I have Date in Axis and Dax in values.

All Campaigns:=COUNTROWS(VACampaigns)

Date.png 

I then want to go one step further and remove the latest date with the DAX so I do not have to change the filter every time. This is the formula that I wrote:

Filtered Campaigns:=COUNTROWS(FILTER(VACampaigns,VACampaigns[Latest Date] <> max(VACampaigns[Latest Date])))

But the pivot table changes and I end up with a grand total and the granularity of the date has gone.  I do not know why this is happening or what I am overlooking:

NoDate.png

What I have noticed is the following DAX presents a pivot table the way I expect:

CountByDate:=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(VACampaigns),FILTER(VACampaigns,VACampaigns[Latest Date] =MAX(VACampaigns[Latest Date])))

but the moment I change the =MAX to <>MAX I go back to the single grand total coloumn. 

What am I doing wrong/what is happening, my skill level is pretty basic.

Thank you for you time and help.

Coxy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AntrikshSharma
Community Champion
Community Champion

Because when you are at 21/04 that is the MAX date when you are at 27/04 that is the max date the MAX function is evaluated in the filter context outside of you measure you can create a new calculated column to check if dates are less than a specific date and that column will return TRUE/FALSE and then use it inside CALCULATE

CALCULATE(
    [Total Sales],
    FILTER(
        ALL( Dates ),
        Dates[Date] <= MAX( Dates[Date] )
    ),
    Dates[DatesLessThanMyDate] = TRUE()
)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AntrikshSharma
Community Champion
Community Champion

Because when you are at 21/04 that is the MAX date when you are at 27/04 that is the max date the MAX function is evaluated in the filter context outside of you measure you can create a new calculated column to check if dates are less than a specific date and that column will return TRUE/FALSE and then use it inside CALCULATE

CALCULATE(
    [Total Sales],
    FILTER(
        ALL( Dates ),
        Dates[Date] <= MAX( Dates[Date] )
    ),
    Dates[DatesLessThanMyDate] = TRUE()
)

Thank you @AntrikshSharma . Although I do not fully understand the formula, creating the calculated column to yeild a true/false column and using that does the job. I will study your solution further so I can fully appreciate your responce. Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors