Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vpatel55
Kudo Commander
Kudo Commander

Last month to date is incorrectly giving the whole previous month

My MTD measure correctly shows sales between 1st November to the 11th of November.

--> I'm looking to find out what the MTD was the previous month, in the same equivilent period (i.e. 1st October to the 11th of October).

However, it is returning the whole previous month. Here are measures that I have tried. They all give the same wrong answer (12k).

I have a calendar table (marked as a date table) and joined to the dates in my fact table.

vpatel55_0-1605202671410.png

Here are my three attempts:

Sales MTD LM (Attempt 1) = 
CALCULATE (
    [Sales],
    DATEADD (
        FILTER ( DATESMTD ( 'Calendar'[Date] ), 'Calendar'[Date] < TODAY () ),
        MONTH
    )
)

Sales MTD LM (Attempt 2) = 
CALCULATE ( [Sales MTD], PARALLELPERIOD ( 'Calendar'[Date], -1, MONTH ) )

Sales MTD LM (Attempt 3) = 
CALCULATE ( [Sales MTD], DATEADD ( 'Calendar'[Date], -1, MONTH ) )

There is a video by Curbal to tackle this very problem, and as far as I can tell, I have followed her measure exactly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xBYtOVyMTs&ab_channel=Curbal

Yet, all attempts are incorrect, giving the whole previous month:

vpatel55_1-1605202847145.png

Any help would be appreciated.  The correct answer should be 4,449 (although if you try it later on, it will of course be higher). Here is the file, containing dummy data:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vq8wgwnnl3yk0iv/Sample%20report%201.pbix?dl=0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vpatel55
Kudo Commander
Kudo Commander

I've found the answer, and adding it here in case someone comes across the same issue.

The trick is *not* to use the calendar table as the date table. If I use the dates in the fact table, it works fine:

Sales MTD LM (Attempt 4) = 
CALCULATE (
    [Sales],
    DATEADD (
        FILTER ( DATESMTD (Data[Date] ), Data[Date]< TODAY () ),
        MONTH
    )
)

The reason why I think this is the case, is that the calendar table is marked as a date table, and so it applies an 'ALL' to these time intelligence calculations. So it did not matter what filter I used, it would always select ALL anyway.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
shaunb94
Frequent Visitor

Hey Vpatel, I know this thread is quite a while ago, but your solution does not seem to be working for me as it is still showing the full month rather then MTD. Any ideas what may be up? I have ensured to use the Fact Date table column rather than the Date table one.

hI @shaunb94 I'm afraid I would really need to see the model to see what is going on. I'm busy over the next few days, so it may be worth posting a new question, using a the same model but using dummy data, and hopefully a member of the community can help if I can't.

hi @vpatel55, I thought I came back here but I got it worked out in the end. Thanks for your help.

vpatel55
Kudo Commander
Kudo Commander

I've found the answer, and adding it here in case someone comes across the same issue.

The trick is *not* to use the calendar table as the date table. If I use the dates in the fact table, it works fine:

Sales MTD LM (Attempt 4) = 
CALCULATE (
    [Sales],
    DATEADD (
        FILTER ( DATESMTD (Data[Date] ), Data[Date]< TODAY () ),
        MONTH
    )
)

The reason why I think this is the case, is that the calendar table is marked as a date table, and so it applies an 'ALL' to these time intelligence calculations. So it did not matter what filter I used, it would always select ALL anyway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors