Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Last Year (LY) Measure Limited by Current Date

Capture.PNGHello All:

Would someone help me to build a measure [Sales 2018] that shows last year amount for a selected period?

In the example attached to this post, [Sales 2018] for June should be $34.7 M (June 1 - 25), not $42.6 M (sum through June 30, 2018).

If I select, for example, May and June [Sales 2018] should be the amount from May 1 through June 25, 2018. And so on.

The solutions I've seen so far focus on YTD calculations and are quite confusing. I am trying to build a measure with dynamically changing date rage based on the selection.

Thank you all in advance.

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there.

Would you please show me the code (please format it first at www.daxformatter.com) for your [Sales 2018] measure? I understand June 25 is the current day. My suggestion would be this. Say you already have a simple base measure defined called [Sales 2018] that just returns the sum of sales from the fact table for any selection of attributes and only for the year 2018.

You can then build your measure like this:

var __currentDay = TODAY()
var __currentDayOneYearBack = EDATE( __currentDay, -12 )
var __sales =
	CALCULATE(
		[Sales 2018],
		KEEPFILTERS( 'Date'[Date] <= __currentDayOneYearBack )
	)
return
	__sales

This will or will not work OK depending on how [Sales 2018] is defined.

Best

Darek

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there.

Would you please show me the code (please format it first at www.daxformatter.com) for your [Sales 2018] measure? I understand June 25 is the current day. My suggestion would be this. Say you already have a simple base measure defined called [Sales 2018] that just returns the sum of sales from the fact table for any selection of attributes and only for the year 2018.

You can then build your measure like this:

var __currentDay = TODAY()
var __currentDayOneYearBack = EDATE( __currentDay, -12 )
var __sales =
	CALCULATE(
		[Sales 2018],
		KEEPFILTERS( 'Date'[Date] <= __currentDayOneYearBack )
	)
return
	__sales

This will or will not work OK depending on how [Sales 2018] is defined.

Best

Darek

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Darek,

Your formula works!

How would you learn all this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest... I'm a faithful student of the two probably greatest DAX gurus in the world: Alberto Ferrari and Marco Russo. I've been through their courses and their books. I read one book several times until I understand everything in the tiniest details.

If you want, you can check this out: www.sqlbi.com (I'd recommend the course Mastering DAX, if you really want to know what's going on and how to address the most difficult DAX questions). And also go to Amazon for their ultimate book on DAX: Ultimate DAX Guide.

It's been some years now that I've been using DAX to create some pretty complex models. DAX takes time. Sadly 🙂

Best

Darek

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors