Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Avivek
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Last 6 month weighted average total is inaccurate

I tried to create a measure of last 6 month weighted average days, the measure is as follows;

Wt avg 2 = CALCULATE(SUMX(RECEIVABLES,RECEIVABLES[Days Diff]*RECEIVABLES[Weights]))

Last 6 months Wt Avg4 =
VAR enddate = EOMONTH('LAST REFRESHED'[Data Last Refreshed],-1)
VAR startdate = EOMONTH(enddate,-6)+1
return
CALCULATE( [Wt avg 2],
FILTER('RECEIVABLES','RECEIVABLES'[Payment Recieved date]>= startdate && RECEIVABLES[Payment Recieved date]<= enddate))

Avivek_0-1597344142553.png

If I check them individually, the 6 month weighted average shows correct value, showing me the last 6 month weighted average days as well as every month's weighted average days is also correct. But the total for the 6 month is incorrect and also does not match with the invidual values for the last 6 months.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You haven't provided enough information for me to give you an exact answer, but these issues are always of the category I call "totals don't add up". You can read more about that here https://exceleratorbi.com.au/use-sum-vs-sumx/

Your visual (rows inside) is doing the calc for individual "month & year", but your total does not do that. The total is for all months and years (which is not the same as doing it by month and year, then averaging them).  It's not clear to me if you need the SUMX or not, nor which table the "month & year" column comes from. But you will need some way of averaging the results by month at the total. A guess is it will be something like this (one option)

Last 6 months Wt Avg4 =
VAR enddate =
    EOMONTH ( 'LAST REFRESHED'[Data Last Refreshed], -1 )
VAR startdate =
    EOMONTH ( enddate, -6 ) + 1
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        Averagex(values(table[month & year]),[Wt avg 2]),
        FILTER (
            'RECEIVABLES',
            'RECEIVABLES'[Payment Recieved date] >= startdate
                && RECEIVABLES[Payment Recieved date] <= enddate
        )
    )

It is likely there is a more efficient way to do it, but you would need to share the entire data model for that to be clear. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to show the model. No way around it.

You haven't provided enough information for me to give you an exact answer, but these issues are always of the category I call "totals don't add up". You can read more about that here https://exceleratorbi.com.au/use-sum-vs-sumx/

Your visual (rows inside) is doing the calc for individual "month & year", but your total does not do that. The total is for all months and years (which is not the same as doing it by month and year, then averaging them).  It's not clear to me if you need the SUMX or not, nor which table the "month & year" column comes from. But you will need some way of averaging the results by month at the total. A guess is it will be something like this (one option)

Last 6 months Wt Avg4 =
VAR enddate =
    EOMONTH ( 'LAST REFRESHED'[Data Last Refreshed], -1 )
VAR startdate =
    EOMONTH ( enddate, -6 ) + 1
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        Averagex(values(table[month & year]),[Wt avg 2]),
        FILTER (
            'RECEIVABLES',
            'RECEIVABLES'[Payment Recieved date] >= startdate
                && RECEIVABLES[Payment Recieved date] <= enddate
        )
    )

It is likely there is a more efficient way to do it, but you would need to share the entire data model for that to be clear. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors