Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Iterating over Measure calculations, counting current status of groups.

Hi, is there a better way of doing this?

Lets say I have to identify the current application stage of candidates in our system. To do so, I'll first flag candidates with an IF-statement that evaluates 1 on their most current status (based on date and status name). However, the calculation is incomplete because the total does not sum correctly. Therefore, I add an additional step to iterate with SumX.

My question is, can I boil this into one tidy DAX calc rather than two? I've tried but haven't been successful. To be clear, I want an end table that lists ALL the status available, and sums the current status.

PBI file: Example File  

SumX Iterator Example.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

It's fairly trivial to combine the measures you have into one by expanding [Flag] inside [Total] but I'm guessing you're looking for something cleaner.

I propose the following:

StatusCount =
VAR Summary =
    SUMMARIZE ( ALL ( Data ), Data[Applicant ID], "MaxDate", MAX ( Data[Date] ) )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( Data ),
        TREATAS ( Summary, Data[Applicant ID], Data[Date] )
    )

First, we compute a Summary table to get the maximal date for each distinct applicant. Note that I've used ALL since, otherwise, we'd only get the rows corresponding to the current Application Status filter.

Bearing this in mind, inside of COUNTROWS, Data is a subtable already filtered on Application Status but we wish to filter it further by only considering the most recent status.

To do this, I use TREATAS to treat the [Applicant ID] and [MaxDate] columns of Summarize as the only set pairs allowable for Data[Applicant ID] and Data[Date].

This simple-looking measure hides quite a bit of subtlety. I recommend reading this article to get a better handle on this sort of pattern:
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/propagate-filters-using-treatas-in-dax/

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

It's fairly trivial to combine the measures you have into one by expanding [Flag] inside [Total] but I'm guessing you're looking for something cleaner.

I propose the following:

StatusCount =
VAR Summary =
    SUMMARIZE ( ALL ( Data ), Data[Applicant ID], "MaxDate", MAX ( Data[Date] ) )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( Data ),
        TREATAS ( Summary, Data[Applicant ID], Data[Date] )
    )

First, we compute a Summary table to get the maximal date for each distinct applicant. Note that I've used ALL since, otherwise, we'd only get the rows corresponding to the current Application Status filter.

Bearing this in mind, inside of COUNTROWS, Data is a subtable already filtered on Application Status but we wish to filter it further by only considering the most recent status.

To do this, I use TREATAS to treat the [Applicant ID] and [MaxDate] columns of Summarize as the only set pairs allowable for Data[Applicant ID] and Data[Date].

This simple-looking measure hides quite a bit of subtlety. I recommend reading this article to get a better handle on this sort of pattern:
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/propagate-filters-using-treatas-in-dax/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @AlexisOlson , thanks for the response.

Let me clarify, how would we output a measure that displays all the available application status and a count of the current status of each application? So when I apply application status row context, the status without any "active" applications does not drop out.

So your concern is that it returns a blank instead of zero for Screen?

You could just add " + 0" to the end of the measure I suggested. More discussion of 0 vs blank here:
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/how-to-return-0-instead-of-blank-in-dax/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I never thought of just adding 0 to the end. 

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors