Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sid-poly
Helper I
Helper I

Issue with TOPN and RANKX with no ties

I have a table visual and it has multiple columns present in it. I am trying to get the TOPN based on a particular column, even after there are no ties, it shows more than the required number. I have also used a RANKX function DAX but it has been returning 1 always.

Measure 

RANKING = RANKX(ALL(Table Name), CALCULATE(SUM(Column Name(measure))). But it keeps throwing 1 itself. 

Lets say I have numbers below 

ABCDEH
ABCSolid123450%1231
DEFLiquid123452%4561
GHIGas234564%7891
JKLSolid456785%1011

From the above example. Let me consider I want to calculate RANK for column E from the above table. But with the measure used I get Rank as 1 for all the rows i.e. Column H.

Can someone provide me with a better solution? It happens for TOPN too even if there are no ties.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @sid-poly ,

The field [E] is a fact field in the table or a measure? It is a measure, could you please provide its formula? Please create a measure as below and check if you can get the correct rank values...

RANKING = RANKX ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ), CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Table'[E] ) ),,, DENSE )

yingyinr_0-1669105918295.png

In addition, you can refer the following threads to solve your problem.

RANKX Always Returns 1

Rank Product =
RANKX (
    ALL ( MyData[Product] ),
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( MyData[Quantity] ), ALLEXCEPT ( MyData, MyData[Product] ) )
)

Rankx all return 1

Total Sales = SUM ( sales[sales amount] )

SalesRank = RANKX ( ALLSELECTED ( sales[employee number] ), [Total Sales] )

If the above one can't help you get the desired result, please provide some raw(fake) data in your tables (exclude sensitive data) with Text format and your expected result with backend logic and special examples. It is better if you can share a simplified pbix file. You can refer the following link to upload the file to the community. Thank you.

How to upload PBI in Community

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
FreemanZ
Super User
Super User

Try to add a column with the code below:

H =
RANKX(
    ALL(TableName),
    TableName[E],
    DENSE
)

i tried and it works like this:

FreemanZ_1-1669014456206.png

If I am doing it without the aggregation on the TableName[E] then it shows me the following error

A single value for column ColumnName in Table TableName cannot be determined and not allowing me to move forward. However, if I am applying the aggregation it still shows RANK as 1 for all of the rows.

the code is used to create a new column. Are you creating a measure?

Sorry was unable to reply due to max limits on private message.

Please find the screenshot below for the measure I have generated.

Capture.PNG

Hi @sid-poly ,

The field [E] is a fact field in the table or a measure? It is a measure, could you please provide its formula? Please create a measure as below and check if you can get the correct rank values...

RANKING = RANKX ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ), CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Table'[E] ) ),,, DENSE )

yingyinr_0-1669105918295.png

In addition, you can refer the following threads to solve your problem.

RANKX Always Returns 1

Rank Product =
RANKX (
    ALL ( MyData[Product] ),
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( MyData[Quantity] ), ALLEXCEPT ( MyData, MyData[Product] ) )
)

Rankx all return 1

Total Sales = SUM ( sales[sales amount] )

SalesRank = RANKX ( ALLSELECTED ( sales[employee number] ), [Total Sales] )

If the above one can't help you get the desired result, please provide some raw(fake) data in your tables (exclude sensitive data) with Text format and your expected result with backend logic and special examples. It is better if you can share a simplified pbix file. You can refer the following link to upload the file to the community. Thank you.

How to upload PBI in Community

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

have to see the names for the table and column. Could replace them with dummy code?

I am not creating a measure, it is an exisiting column, but if I am not using Aggregation DAX like SUM it gives me the above mentioned error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors