Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Inventory Allocation

Looking for some table and report help on how to make a Inventory Allocation report to help us ship inventory to oldest order first.

I have an inventory onhand report and I would like to take the onhand amount and subtract it from oldest orders until inventory goes negative.  I also have an orders report that container ordered dated, order number, sku ordered and qty ordered.

Currently I do this in Excel by sorting orders by oldest date and then smallest order number.  Then taking inventory ohand and using the formula  J2 - G3 to start off then for the rest use formual in column h as "Example H4-G4"

Inventory Alloc.JPG

Doing this for 100 sku's in excel takes forever and I would like to see if there is away to do this with DAX in BI.  Again I have a table with Onhand Inventory and one table with Orders.

4 REPLIES 4
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you show samples of both tables in text-tabular format (so that the contents can be copied)? And based on that sample data, show the expected result detailing the logic to get there.

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Im not sure exactly what you are asking for but here is what the to tables look like in BI.

Onhand Table Sample.JPG

Order Table sample.JPG

I hope this helps.

As you said

Currently I do this in Excel by sorting orders by oldest date and then smallest order number.  Then taking inventory ohand and using the formula  J2 - G3 to start off then for the rest use formual in column h as "Example H4-G4"

The same thing can be done in Power BI query editor where the columns can be sorted and then you can add the calculated column to get H4-G4.

Anonymous
Not applicable

kumar27

Thank you for the insight on this being able to be done in query editor but I am really new with this stuff and am having an issue on how I would do the calulated column in query editor when they are to differnt tables.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors