Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ignoring (Blank) in a DAX query

Hey PBI Community. I'm close to the end of a long project, but have one final issue with a Dax query that I am using to determine some values, seen below:

ExceedsCheck2 = 
VAR ThisResult =
    MAX ('Query1'[StdResult])
VAR Criteria=
    MAXX (
        ALLSELECTED ( 'Query1'[GAC] ),
        CALCULATE (
            MAX ( 'Query1'[GAC] )
        )
    )
VAR Range=
    MAXX (
        ALLSELECTED ( 'Query1'[lod] ),
        CALCULATE (
            MAX ( 'Query1'[lod] )
        )
    )
RETURN
    if (Range>Criteria, 1,if(ThisResult>=Criteria, 2, 0))

This effectively checks a column (LOD) against another (GAC) to see if it exceeds the value within. The problem I have, is that when this is checking the values, it can see that there are blanks within the data which I can't ignore as it isn't my data and can include blanks whenever it comes in.

How can I tweak the query above, to only look at values that contain a number?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've managed to get this to work using NOT ISBLANK and ISBLANK checks within DAX

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

"The problem I have, is that when this is checking the values, it can see that there are blanks within the data which I can't ignore as it isn't my data and can include blanks whenever it comes in."

Can you please give a more clear description of where in your formula the problem occurs?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

Effectively, the data-set has a GAC and LOD column. Both of these have numeric values and (Blank) values. The formula needs to only check if the value is numeric, if it isn't then mark it as 3.

For example, I have a result of 0.20 and the GAC is (Blank) so the formula sees this as Result > GAC and highlights is as such, which is incorrect. The forumla should see (Blank) and mark it as 3 or just ignore it, it doesn't do this presently and I am not sure how to achieve this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've managed to get this to work using NOT ISBLANK and ISBLANK checks within DAX

azaher68
Helper II
Helper II

Is it a problem for you if you replace null values with 0?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@azaher68 thanks for your reply. Yes, this still causes problems because the result will still be greater than 0 and flag it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors