Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

UBComma
Helper III
Helper III

Identifying overlaps in date sequences

I need to find conflicts in date ranges that overlap.  In this case I have many "Projects" and many "Resources".  A given Project will need a Resource for a stated date range.  The date ranges will shift if a project schedule shifts.  We need to know if a shift causes a resource date conflict with another project.  For example, in the table below, Resource-A is needed by two different projects from 8/15/21 through 8/31/21.

ProjectResourceStart DateEnd Date
Project1Resource-A8/1/218/31/21
Project1Resource-B8/15/219/10/21
Project2Resource-C8/28/2110/12/21
Project3Resource-A8/15/2110/1/21

Because we have many projects and many resources it seems impractical to compare start and end dates between resources.  I thought I would generate a table instead with the columns [Project], [Resource], [Days in Use] and create a long table of the days in use and then run counts on the number of times a distinct date occurs for a given Project and Resource.  If the count was greater than "1" it would be a conflict.

My first problem is knowing if this sounds like the best approach, or if someone knows a better way to do it.  My second problem is generating a table that has 1 row for each day that a project has a resource reserved so I can run the count.  I have been working with variations of SUMMARIZE and SUMMARIZECOLUMNS and trying to add another column using GENERATESERIES to create a table of dates but I can't figure out how to make that work.

Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm imagining you want a calculated table like this:

AlexisOlson_0-1626293843001.png

Here's the code to generate:

CalcTable =
FILTER (
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        CROSSJOIN (
            CALENDAR (
                MIN ( 'Resource Allocations'[Start Date] ),
                MAX ( 'Resource Allocations'[End Date] )
            ),
            VALUES ( 'Resource Allocations'[Resource] )
        ),
        "Count",
            COUNTROWS (
                FILTER (
                    'Resource Allocations',
                    'Resource Allocations'[Resource] = EARLIER ( [Resource] )
                        && 'Resource Allocations'[Start Date] <= EARLIER ( [Date] )
                        && 'Resource Allocations'[End Date] >= EARLIER ( [Date] )
                )
            )
    ),
    [Count] > 1
)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

That sounds about how I'd try to do it (the counting per day). To generate the days, the simplest approach is probably is something like CALENDAR ( MIN ( Table1[Start Date] ), MAX ( Table1[End Date] ) ).

That will produce the date series but I'm struggling with how to generate that in a table that sequences [Project], [Resource], [Day in use] from the "Resource Allocations' table that has the Start and End dates.

I'm imagining you want a calculated table like this:

AlexisOlson_0-1626293843001.png

Here's the code to generate:

CalcTable =
FILTER (
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        CROSSJOIN (
            CALENDAR (
                MIN ( 'Resource Allocations'[Start Date] ),
                MAX ( 'Resource Allocations'[End Date] )
            ),
            VALUES ( 'Resource Allocations'[Resource] )
        ),
        "Count",
            COUNTROWS (
                FILTER (
                    'Resource Allocations',
                    'Resource Allocations'[Resource] = EARLIER ( [Resource] )
                        && 'Resource Allocations'[Start Date] <= EARLIER ( [Date] )
                        && 'Resource Allocations'[End Date] >= EARLIER ( [Date] )
                )
            )
    ),
    [Count] > 1
)

I think that's a brilliant solution.  I have it working in my model and I learned a lot!  Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors