Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pinkukumar
Frequent Visitor

I have to calculate average by country

Hi,

I have the below table and from this I have to calculate the average rating for products from Rating 1 & Rating 2-

ProductRating 1Rating 2Country
A34India
B45India
C54India
D43Australia
E35Australia
F53UK
G44UK
H34UK

After this, I have to calculate average rating by country from rating 1 & rating 2 and show this in bar chart.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Aditya_Meshram
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @pinkukumar ,
In power query editor, make a column calculating the average of rating 1 and rating 2 (name it Ratings Average) and then group by the country using the average of Ratings Average column we just created. 

You can use this M query in the advanced editor 

let
    Source = **Insert your Source file here**,
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Changed Type", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"", type text}, {"_1", type text}, {"_2", type text}, {"_3", type text}}),
    #"Promoted Headers1" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Changed Type1", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers1",{{"Product", type text}, {"Rating 1", Int64.Type}, {"Rating 2", Int64.Type}, {"Country", type text}}),
    #"Inserted Average" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type2", "Average", each List.Average({[Rating 1], [Rating 2]}), type number),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Inserted Average", {"Country"}, {{"Country Average", each List.Average([Average]), type number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

be sure to put the location of the source file in your system.

Then use this table to make the bar chart.

The output looks like this

Aditya_Meshram_0-1632217744148.png

The .pbix is attached here for reference.
https://nicesoftwaresolutions1-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/ameshram_nicesoftwaresolutions_com/E...

Regards,
Aditya

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Aditya_Meshram
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @pinkukumar ,
In power query editor, make a column calculating the average of rating 1 and rating 2 (name it Ratings Average) and then group by the country using the average of Ratings Average column we just created. 

You can use this M query in the advanced editor 

let
    Source = **Insert your Source file here**,
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Changed Type", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"", type text}, {"_1", type text}, {"_2", type text}, {"_3", type text}}),
    #"Promoted Headers1" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Changed Type1", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers1",{{"Product", type text}, {"Rating 1", Int64.Type}, {"Rating 2", Int64.Type}, {"Country", type text}}),
    #"Inserted Average" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type2", "Average", each List.Average({[Rating 1], [Rating 2]}), type number),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Inserted Average", {"Country"}, {{"Country Average", each List.Average([Average]), type number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

be sure to put the location of the source file in your system.

Then use this table to make the bar chart.

The output looks like this

Aditya_Meshram_0-1632217744148.png

The .pbix is attached here for reference.
https://nicesoftwaresolutions1-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/ameshram_nicesoftwaresolutions_com/E...

Regards,
Aditya

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@pinkukumar , Few ways 

Rate 1 = Average(Table[Rating 1])

Rate 2 = Average(Table[Rating 2])

Rate = AverageX(Table,(Table[Rating 1] + Table[Rating 2]) /2)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors