Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to write a dax code that sums only greather than 0 en less than 0

Dear Power BI users,

I have writed a dax code/measure where I subtracted column A from B, that results in C. Now I would like to sum up only the values that are greather than zero >0 using the dax measure C. In the picture below you can see the positives and the negatives. Please help me with making a measure for this, no calculated columns please.

My measure C is: 

Price difference COGS = [Old cogs x current demand]-[New cogs x current demand]

Measure C looks like this:      Itemnr    Price difference COGS
                                                1              20
                                                 2              10
                                                 3              0
                                                 4              -5

How can i use my current measure "Price difference COGS = [Old cogs x current demand]-[New cogs x current demand]" to write a new measure that filters out everything above 0 that would result in 30 and the other way around (other measure) that should result in -5?

Your sincerely,
Baris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous ,

Try it:

Price difference COGS = SUMX(FILTER('Fact table'; [Old cogs x current demand]-[New cogs x current demand] > 0); [Old cogs x current demand]-[New cogs x current demand])

Ricardo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
camargos88
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can create this measure using SUMX, for example:

X = SUMX(FILTER(TABLE; COLUMN_X > 0);  COLUMN_A - COLUMN_B)

You can check on this link: https://exceltown.com/en/tutorials/power-bi/powerbi-com-and-power-bi-desktop/dax-query-language-for-power-bi-and-power-pivot/sumx-summary-with-filter-or-additional-calculation-dax-power-pivot-power-bi/

Ricardo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @camargos88 ,

Thank you for your reply, but you example is valid when there is a column_x in the table. Instead of creating a column_x i have created a measure mentioned above, this was "

Price difference COGS = [Old cogs x current demand]-[New cogs x current demand]" = Column_x in your example. And I do have the measures Column_A and Column_B. 

Do you how to filter on this without creating an extra column_x, but using a measure.

your sincerely,
Baris

@Anonymous ,

We need to test it, but I think it's possible to filter it using measures.

Do you have a sample data ?

Ricardo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @camargos88 

That would be great. I have prepared the PBI file in an anonymous way. See: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApwLzcPKGlcdhU32GNVPjFNS4f8s?e=nuAlEZ

The measure which I use are included. Please use the measure mentioned before this was "Price difference COGS = [Old cogs x current demand]-[New cogs x current demand]". I have also added a visual on the right side. If it works correct I would like to create a measure thats sums 17288 + 12709 and another measure that sums -69584+-82624. I am aware that I can select this in the visual, but I do not want to that. Thank you in advance Ricardo!.

Yours sincerely,

Baris

Hi @Anonymous ,

I didn't get your point. What do you mean by :

"If it works correct I would like to create a measure thats sums 17288 + 12709 and another measure that sums -69584+-82624. I am aware that I can select this in the visual, but I do not want to that" ??

Also, I see you are using sumx with those 2 measures, do you wanna filter the measure value > 0 ? If yes, which one ?

Ricardo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @camargos88 

I would like to create a measure value >0 using the measure "

Price difference COGS = [Old cogs x current demand]-[New cogs x current demand]". When I have created that measures >0 using "
Price difference COGS = [Old cogs x current demand]-[New cogs x current demand]" it will show only the values 17288 and 12709.

Yours sincere,
Baris

@Anonymous ,

Try it:

Price difference COGS = SUMX(FILTER('Fact table'; [Old cogs x current demand]-[New cogs x current demand] > 0); [Old cogs x current demand]-[New cogs x current demand])

Ricardo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Assume that  [Old cogs x current demand] and [New cogs x current demand] comes from different fact tables, how are we going to use the measure below to sum up everyhting above > 0. 

Yours sincerely,

Baris

Anonymous
Not applicable

@camargos88 

I think we are almost there, because now I would like to see the result of that two itemnr toghether (thus, summed up). When we use blank() it does not show the total sum of the two items. 

Yours sincerely,

Baris

@Anonymous ,

Try this one:

Ricardo

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This looks like a measure aggregation problem. See my blog article about that here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Design-Pattern-Groups-and-Super-Groups/ba-p/138149

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors