Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to use a slicer from one table to filter records in another table

Hello the community! - I am new to Power BI and stuck in the following situtation for quite some days.   The following screen shot shows two tables Allocation and Obligation.  I want to use one slicer (EventFY) from Allocation table to filter records in Obligation. The two tables are linked by ERCode.  But we cannot join them together, as join will cause duplicate records.

What I want to reach is to sum obligations by State as shown in the bottom.  When 1990 is selected, the Obligations should show 600 and 1300 for A and B, respectively, and  900, 800 when 1991 is selected. 

You can get the data and report from the following links.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

(excel) https://1drv.ms/x/s!AlntzgQcvbvR2D0cnh_VTTAaN2Qd?e=Tsa89V and (report) https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlntzgQcvbvR2D4dmQDGa_jCakw7?e=Ly9r4s

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Anonymous 

The easiest way is to create a relationship between the two tables in the Model view:

image.png

In this, I have changed the filter direction to Single where Allocation table is filtering the Obligation table.

Result:

image.pngimage.png

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Vivek

Blog: vivran.in/my-blog
Connect on LinkedIn
Follow on Twitter

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Anonymous 

The easiest way is to create a relationship between the two tables in the Model view:

image.png

In this, I have changed the filter direction to Single where Allocation table is filtering the Obligation table.

Result:

image.pngimage.png

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Vivek

Blog: vivran.in/my-blog
Connect on LinkedIn
Follow on Twitter

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vivran22 You are the man.  Thank you so much for your tutoring!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors