Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Deez
Advocate I
Advocate I

How to setup a table with 3 calculated columns

Hi,

I'm new to Dax and PowerBI and need some help with something that might be easy for you experts.

I have:

1 - Data Source1 - Data Source

2 - Combine data into one table2 - Combine data into one table

What I need to achive is a  front end table visual with a dimension > ID and calculated columns for Source 1, Source 2 & STATUS.

It needs to be a front end table visual and not calculated in the query editor.

3 - Front End table with Calculated columns3 - Front End table with Calculated columns

The chalenge for me is the Dax query for "Source 1" & "Source 2".

For Source 1 to return the Name's (A,B,C...) where Source = 1
For Source 2 to return the Name's (A,B,C...) where Source = 2

And the STATUS i guess will be an If statement...

The aim here is to track the changes between the two sets of data.

Any Ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Deez hey see attached solution. I did it with two methods.

1st method, combined soure 1 and source 2, removed all the column except Id and made it distinct, called this table Source. created relation on id from source (new table) wiht source 1 and source 2. added new column called Status in Source (new table)

2nd method, combined soure 1 and source 2, called this table SourceCombine. created 3 measures which you can check in attached file.

PS - Ignore other tables in the file, those were for some other use case.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thank you @parry2k for taking the time to help solve this problem!

Just a question on method 2 which i am interested in using.

What can we substitute the max function with if there are multiple values per ID  (The ID in my case is not unique per line)?

Source 2 = CALCULATE( MAX( SourceCombine[Name] ), SourceCombine[Source] = 2 )

Max would return one row with the maximum string for that ID. I would need to show all values for that non-unique ID.

Something like ID 4 in the snap below:
4_multiple_values_per_ID.png

Any idea?

@Deez if you have more thn one value for an Id, I guess you have some other unique identifier which you need to include in your matrix visual. It is always good to post your question more close to real time data as solution could be totally different based on data model. FYI.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors