Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to prevent running total from being recalculated when using a year slicer

Hey everyone,

First time working with PowerBI and having a bit of trouble with understanding the slicers and running total.

I am trying to track equipment deployment over months and wanted to compare them year to year.

I needed the running total to not reset each year as we need to know that 10 units were deployed in December 2010 and then +1 (11) in January 2011.

I'm also trying to show this in a line chart with the series being each year.

However, I also have another splicer for Company which will need to recalculate the running total if a specific company is selected.

(To add to the complication, I have another slicer for products but we can ignore that for now)

Ex)

LineChart.pngYearSlicer.png

I'm using the year slicer as a way to filter out the other series / lines.

How do I go about setting the running total to only be affected by the company slicer and not the year slicer?

Formulas I have tried:

Attempt 1:

NetQuantityRunningTotal =
CALCULATE(
SUM('transaction_records'[net_quantity]),
FILTER(
ALLSELECTED('transaction_records')),
'transaction_records'[transaction_date] <= MAX('Date'[Date])
)
)

The running total starts off based on the start date of the date slicer. Causing my chart to go into the negatives if items were returned. 

Attempt 2:
CALCULATE(
SUM('transaction_records'[net_quantity]),
FILTER(
ALL('transaction_records'),
'transaction_records'[transaction_date] <= MAX('Date'[Date]))
)

Company slicer no longer affects the running total

I also saw there was ALLEXCEPT but I could not get them to work. The Date slicer is using 'Date'[Date].[Year] as its options.

Is there a way to have the running total calculate based on select filters on the page but have the other filter only modify what years are shown?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Figured it out!

To calculate the running total while preserving filters from other tables and excluding the date table, I had to modify the FILTER function.

CALCULATE(
SUM('transactionrecord'[net_quantity]),
FILTER(
ALL('Date'),
'Date'[Date] <= MAX('Date'[Date])
)
)

By calling ALL on the Date Table, I was able to remove any filtering on the date table.

Running total was preserved across the entire time span and now when I filter by the date, the initial value does not reset to '0'.

Thanks for the assistance!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I  am using a running 12 month total measure like below

TTM_Income =
var currentDate = max('EOM Date'[End of the month])
var previousdate = date(year(currentDate),month(currentDate)-12,day(currentDate))
var result= calculate( sum('Raffle Transaction'[amount]), filter('Raffle Transaction','Raffle Transaction'[End of the month]>=previousdate && 'Raffle Transaction'[End of the month]<=currentDate))
Return
result

where 'EOM Date' is a date table disconnected from the actual table "Raffle Transcation". I need to group the values of the measure in  bands to show the count such as 0-£50,£50-£100,£100+ etc. if £100+ then show the ID. I tried to create a summarize table and band the measure TTM_Income there but It didnt work. Is it because of the diconnected table 'EOM Date' ?
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well, seems like ALLEXCEPT should be your path to victory, what problem were you having? You would want to use something like ALLEXCEPT('Table'[Company])

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick response!

So my 'contractor name' is part of another table, so when I use the ALLEXCEPT and provide the contractor table, the conditional line that comes after cannot find 'transaction_date'.

CALCULATE(
FILTER(
ALLEXCEPT('contractor', 'contractor'[Contractor Name]),
'transactionrecord'[transaction_date] <= MAX('Date'[Date])
)
)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Figured it out!

To calculate the running total while preserving filters from other tables and excluding the date table, I had to modify the FILTER function.

CALCULATE(
FILTER(
ALL('Date'),
'Date'[Date] <= MAX('Date'[Date])
)
)

By calling ALL on the Date Table, I was able to remove any filtering on the date table.

Running total was preserved across the entire time span and now when I filter by the date, the initial value does not reset to '0'.

Thanks for the assistance!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors