Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

selwyn
Frequent Visitor

How to create a measure to perform calculations within multiple groups of rows

Hi,

Is it possible to create a DAX measure in Power BI that calculates the Actual Scrap Weight from this query?

Here's a screenshot of the query for easy reference. And also the sample data

Source data:

sample-source-data-01.jpg

Some things to note about this query:
1. The [Plant WtUnit] column indicates the type of measurement unit (KG or LB) used at the respective plants.

2. Each Order Ref consists of 3 attributes, namely Backflush, Good Qty, and Rejected Qty:
Backflush - The WEIGHT (KG or LB) of the total amount of material used.
Good Qty - The QUANTITY (pcs) of good finished goods.
Rejected Qty - The QUANTITY (pcs) of rejected finished goods.

3. The corresponding values (under the [Value] column) of each of these attributes will hence refer to either a weight quantity (KG or LB) or a count (no. of pcs). Therefore the Value for the Backflush attribute is either KG or LB, while the Values for the Good Qty and Rejected Qty attributes refers to the number of pieces.

4. GW refers to Gross Weight, NW refers to Net Weight.

Intended Outcome:

As mentioned earlier, I would like to create a DAX measure in Power BI to calculate the Actual Scrap Weight (of each Order Ref), and this is how it is calculated (in a non-DAX manner):

Actual Scrap Weight = Backflush - Good Qty Weight

where 

Good Qty Weight = Good Qty x NW per pc

So for example, for Order Ref A1001:

Good Qty Weight (in KG) = Good Qty x NW per pc (KG)
                                         = 1000 x 2KG
                                         = 2000KG

Hence,

Actual Scrap Weight (in KG) = Backflush - Good Qty Weight
                                             = 2130KG - 2000KG
                                             = 130KG

Can this be achieved through the use of DAX alone? Or are further transformations in Power Query needed first? Or are there more than two ways to skin ... an onion?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a full solution attached.

Best

D

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way, if you want to show blank for the measures when no calculation unit (KG or LB) is selected or many at the same time, then you have to remove the default option from SELECTEDVALUE( 'Calculation Unit'[CalculationUnit], "KG"). Just remove the "KG" in this function in all of the measures.

Best
D

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a full solution attached.

Best

D

Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way, if you want to show blank for the measures when no calculation unit (KG or LB) is selected or many at the same time, then you have to remove the default option from SELECTEDVALUE( 'Calculation Unit'[CalculationUnit], "KG"). Just remove the "KG" in this function in all of the measures.

Best
D

Hi Daryl,

Thanks so much for helping to work on my issue. I've downloaded your pbix but am unable to open it as I'm greeted with the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error msg each time I try to open the file.

error-msg-01.jpg

If it isn't too much trouble, is there a way for the syntax of your solution to be posted on this thread directly, and then I'll try cobbling it up with my data set.

Thanks again for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've downloaded the file and it opens without a hitch. Do you have the latest PBI? Please re-download the file and make sure it's been downloaded in full.

Best
D

Thanks @Anonymous!

You're right, my Power BI wasn't the latest version. Your file opened without a hitch after I updated my Power BI and your solution worked like a charm!

On a related note, I thought your approach to the problem was pretty unique - effective and uncomplicated - and that it also taught me a lesson on learning to see things from different perspectives/angles.

Thanks so much and kudos to you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

In PBI THE most important thing is to have a good, logical and simple star-schema model. If you model data the right way, DAX becomes extremely simple and FAST. This is called data-modelling skills 🙂 Without them you'll be writing ugly, long and slow DAX, many a time obtaining numbers you won't even be able to explain.

In a word, always stick to the star-schema if you want to keep your sanity.

If you want, here's something to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_quTwyvDfG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78d6mwR8GtA

Best
D
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, but I do not see Good Qty as a column?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for the quick response, @Greg_Deckler 

Yup, it doesn't stand alone as a column but is actually part of the Attribute column.

I don't know if the query in its current iteration is ideal though, does it need further transformation?

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors