Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ThomasSan
Helper III
Helper III

How to count working days between two dates within the same table

Hi everyone,

I am attempting to create a measure per row which counts the working days between two days within the same table. To do that, I found the following guide:
https://blog.enterprisedna.co/calculate-workdays-between-two-dates-in-power-bi/

However, when I follow it, I get the error message "A single value for column 'DateOfDelivery' in table 'Deliveries' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.". Unfortunately, I am unsure how to address this problem adequately. The way I see it, there is always just one 'DateOfDelivery' per row so I do not understand how this single value cannot be determined per row.

Here is the table that I am using:

ThomasSan_0-1663926965587.png

Here, it is possible that one order may result in several deliveries.

And this is my date table:

ThomasSan_1-1663926980317.png

I am using the following DAX expression:

PassedDays1 = 
CALCULATE(
    COUNTROWS('Date'),
    DATESBETWEEN(
        'Date'[Date],
        Deliveries[DateOfDelivery],
        Deliveries[OrderDate]
    ),
    'Date'[IsWeekday] = TRUE
)

Does anyone know what/where my error is?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnt75
Super User
Super User

You're adding it as a measure, not a calculated column, therefore it doesn't have a row context and doesn't know which delivery date or order date to use. 

If you use the same code as a calculated column it will work, but since that blog article was published there is now a NETWORKDAYS function in DAX, so you could just use that instead.

Working days column = NETWORKDAYS(Deliveries[Order date], Deliveries[Delivery date])

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
johnt75
Super User
Super User

You're adding it as a measure, not a calculated column, therefore it doesn't have a row context and doesn't know which delivery date or order date to use. 

If you use the same code as a calculated column it will work, but since that blog article was published there is now a NETWORKDAYS function in DAX, so you could just use that instead.

Working days column = NETWORKDAYS(Deliveries[Order date], Deliveries[Delivery date])

@johnt75 Thanks, I did not know about NETWORKDAYS before. It worked perfectly!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors