Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to check if a row exists on the Many side of One to Many with DirectQuery

Hi,

I have two tables. Table A is the One Side, Table B is the Many side.

I am trying to check (via a calculated column) if there exists a matching row with the Unique Key from Table A in Table B (where the Unique Key is a Foreign Key) for each row in Table A. 

As I am using DirectQuery, many of my options are limited. I can't use IN DISTINCT, FILTER, RELATEDTABLE... all these functions are not available for Power Query with a calculated Column.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , direct query column has limitations.

In a table visual, have ID from both table, filter for A[ID] blank. Default is right missing id in dimension will come

or create a measure from B with +0 and filter measure =0. Value missing in B will come. Now it is left join

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak Thanks for your response.

I need the result in a Calculated column as a boolean (True if there is a match, false if not) as I will then be using this result to calculate another calculated column (which will then be used as a slicer).

I don't think FILTER is available in DirectQuery calculated columns. Is there some way to do this? I am new to DAX.

Thanks

@Anonymous , I doubt you can but let me check again. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 
It's ok, I'll have to alter the database. I was hoping i'd overlooked something.

Thanks

@Anonymous , In my power Bi, On latest power bi version. I am bale to run related 

Column = RELATED(Customer[Name])

1 - M (Column in sales on M side)

Filter is not working in Maxx , so this the only option

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 

Unfortunately I can only run RELATED on the ONE side of the One-to-Many relationship. From what I read, it appears that you have to use RELATEDTABLE (which isn't even really what I want) on the MANY side. Intellisense doesn't even show any tables that are on the MANY side if using RELATED in the ONE side table (for a calculated column). Unfortunately you can not run RELATEDTABLE with DirectQuery. 

This is a bit of a severe limitation of Power Bi (if I am correct). I don't know how this limitation is in existence. It means you can not query a table that has a direct relationship with another one. Because you can't, it means you have to add duplicate columns to a table in the SQL backend. 

@Anonymous , Yes not all things are not supported. 

related I copy data from dimension to fact sales on many side.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors