Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

OliTFD
Regular Visitor

How to calculate total Sum in Matrix visual with complex calculation?

I am stuck with a problem for some time now, and hope to get some help here. 
My data contains these for example:
Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-13 um 22.04.12.jpg

"Count" is the number of available positions in our case, "level" the percentage of how much of this position is allready financed. Every Country can have different amounts of positions with different levels in different years.

What I finally want to show is drawn in this dummy (red numbers are calculated by hand an inserted in the screenshot ;-).
The totals should show the level on either country or total perspective, taking in count the part the level has on a row base compared to the sum of count for the total country (or overall on the bottom).

Calculation Dummy.jpg

I manage to get the part for every type (full, part, none), as shown above as "Part of Country". But I have no idea how to calculate the percentage on a higher level, which is the sum of them. Even more complicated (for me): Getting the value for the overall perspective ("Gesamt", german).
Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-13 um 22.34.50.jpg
What can I do to get results like in the dummy? The pbix for this demo can be found here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
IIPowerBlog
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @OliTFD check out my blog post on this (I had a similar case where I wanted to sum quantities per productid , I am pretty sure you will find it useful). It is based on the SUM() OVER PARTITION BY of SQL , I think you can also use the same logic for your COUNT https://www.iipowerblog.com/post/sum-over-partition-by-in-powerbi 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
OliTFD
Regular Visitor

@IIPowerBlog  At last your idea gave me the solution! I need to drop the measures, and do the calculations in columns, to finally sum them.

First step: Get the count for the country
Total Count per Country COL = CALCULATE(SUM(Facts[Count]),ALLEXCEPT(Facts,Facts[Group],Facts[Country]))

Second: Calculate the count compared to Country

Count compared to Country COL = DIVIDE(Facts[Count],Facts[Total Count per Country COL])

Third: Multiply with level
Part of Country COL = Facts[Count compared to Country COL]*Facts[Level]
Finally sum this for the country level, same method for the group level. And then adjust the visible column in the matrix to
Level % =
Var Typelevel = Sum(Facts[Level])
Var Countrylevel = Sum(Facts[Part of Country COL])
Var Grouplevel = Sum(Facts[Part of Group COL])
Return

If(
    ISINSCOPE(Facts[type]),Typelevel,
    If(ISINSCOPE(Facts[Country]),Countrylevel,Grouplevel))

This gives the following view:
Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-14 um 19.07.51.jpg
Problem solved (and found a typo in my dummy ;-))
OliTFD
Regular Visitor

@IIPowerBlog thanks, but this does not seem to work. The Calculate(Sum(... needs a column... but I need to sum values of a measure, which depends on another measure.
As far as I see your solution does more or less the same as my "Total Count per Country)-measure from step 1.
Or do I get things wrong? 

IIPowerBlog
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @OliTFD check out my blog post on this (I had a similar case where I wanted to sum quantities per productid , I am pretty sure you will find it useful). It is based on the SUM() OVER PARTITION BY of SQL , I think you can also use the same logic for your COUNT https://www.iipowerblog.com/post/sum-over-partition-by-in-powerbi 

OliTFD
Regular Visitor

@amitchandak , AverageX is not the solution, the calculation is a little bit more complex, see below
@v-rzhou-msft Thanks, this part is not the main problem, but thanks for the advise. To get the problem clearer, I try to explain the calculation with the image below:
Calculation Exp 2.jpg

It is a kind of three-steps-calculation:
- compare the count to the total for country
- multiply this with the level
- sum up this results for the country

The red part is where I am lost ;-). This needs to be the _HAND_CALCULATE-Part.
For the overall total ("Gesamt") it will be more or less the same, just changing step 1 to "compare to total for group".

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OliTFD ,

According to your statement, I think your want to get subtoatl in country level by another calculate logic. However, I am still confused about your calculate logic for red part in your screenshot. Here I suggest you to try ISINSCOPE() function to achieve your goal. Here I use 1 in hand calculate part.

Level % = 
VAR _HAND_CALCULATE = 1
RETURN
    IF (
        ISINSCOPE ( Facts[Type] ),
        SUM ( Facts[Level] ),
        IF ( ISINSCOPE ( Facts[Country] ), _HAND_CALCULATE )
    )

Result is as below.

RicoZhou_0-1671000759845.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@OliTFD , for the red one, try a measure like

AverageX(Table, [Count]*[Level])

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors