Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I Create multiple columns selection in Power BI

Hi Everyone,

I want to provide end user the option to select any column, for example we've sales and want to see sales by Country, State or Customer so that user can select any column that we've added from a single selection.

Thanks,

15 REPLIES 15
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Does the replies above solve your problem? If it has been solved, please mark the correct reply as the standard answer to help the other members find it more quickly.Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation!

If it not, would you mind telling me a more detailed description of your needs so that I can help you better?

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No I wasn't able to get the correct answer.

Let me try to expalin again. In this image I am showing sales data against cutomer. but I want provide an option where user can switch different column as well for example category,country, segment etc.   same way that we select options in slicer

Sample.png

So you want to switch between different dimensions in the left column?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.

Buttons and bookmarks is the best way to do this in Power BI.

The first link that @amitchandak gave is a good resource for this:

Dynamically Changing A Chart Axis In Power BI Using Bookmarks And Buttons

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @AlexisOlson , I am aware about the button and bookmarks option but our client don't want to use that

The only other way I can think of to do this is to create a new table that essentially unpivots the dimensions you want to use into a column that you'd use for the left column in the visual.

This is rather hacky so I don't recommend it and I don't plan to volunteer my time working it out in detail.

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I don't quite understand what you're asking. Can you illustrate or link to an example that behaves the way you're describing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AlexisOlson ,

Sorry for late reply.
Here's an sample, suppose we have these three column in the data like this

Columns.png

 I wan to provide user the flexibility to switch between CUSTOMER_LEVEL_1,2,3 from a single slicer like this without unpivoting the data as I've multiple columns and measure in the orignial data and in some charts we're using these column individually.

Hope that I was able to explain, let me know if these are enough to provide some kind of solution.

Column Filter.png

You can create a parameter table with the column names that you want to choose between to use as a slicer and then define a switching measure that reads the slicer selection and outputs different results based on different selections.

I can't tell if this resolves your particular use case or not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We can't create parameter for Text data type in power bi

That's unfortunate. Why not?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You can do it using bookmarks or Unpivot the columns 

Dynamically change chart axis in Power BI
bookmark -https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2018/04/20/dynamically-changing-a-chart-axis-in-power-bi-using-bookmarks-and-buttons/
https://radacad.com/bookmarks-and-buttons-making-power-bi-charts-even-more-interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jeSIRpjv0M

Unpivot means, you need Country, State or Customer to become rows values, then you can filter them in slicer and a new column can be used as the axis

https://radacad.com/pivot-and-unpivot-with-power-bi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for responding,

I know these options but with these options we will provide all the columns but I want to provide 3 or 4 columns, I want to do something similar to tableau parameter that I can further use in calculation, Please let me know if we can achieve something like that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors