Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PPD
Helper I
Helper I

Hide slicer based on other slicer selections

Hi,

I have Month, Quarter, and Year Slicer selection table (stand alone table). I would like to display period values when Month is selected, Quarter values when Quarter is selected, and No selection (or All) when Year Slicer is selected.

I was able to achieve this partially using the following link:

https://perytus.com/2021/01/13/simple-trick-to-hide-slicer-items/

Only issue is when you move from Month to Quarter selection, it keeps the Period selection, and vice versa. I would like to change it to clear all Period selection when Quarter is selected.

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
daxer-almighty
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You have to play with bookmarks and these 3 settings:

daxeralmighty_0-1631655968794.png

There's a very good video treatment of this topic from The Guy In a Cube (Adam Saxton) on YouTube:

(2) Mastering Power BI Bookmarks - YouTube

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
avishek_g
Regular Visitor

There is no off-the-shelf way in Power BI to control the visibility of a slicer's values dynamically (No *fx* button next to the value font color selection). However, you can show or hide one slicer (slicer 2) based on the selected value of another slicer (slicer 1) by applying the below work around. It's a solution using bookmarks:

Scenario:
I have 2 slicers, Slicer 1, called "Currency" and Slicer 2 called " Rate".
Slicer 1 has 2 options " Global" and "Local".
Slicer 2 has 2 options "Fixed" and "Variable"

Business Requirement:
The need is to give the user the option to select between Fixed and Variable rates when the user selects Global currency.
When the user selects Local currency, the 2nd slicer is irrelevant. Hence it should be hidden.

Solution:
Create 2 bookmarks and name them "ShowRate" and "HideRate"
insert 2 completely transparent rectangles and place them on top of each radio button/switch of "Globa" and "Local" option of slicer 1: Currency

avishek_g_0-1688919645431.png

Update the "ShowRate" bookmark - while selecting Rate Slicer - visible, currency slicer (selected to global) - visible.

avishek_g_4-1688919985660.png

Then update "HideRate" bookmark - while selcting Rate Slicer - imvisible, Curreny Slicer (toggled to Local) - Visible

avishek_g_5-1688920041501.png

Tick marked to "Data" and "Selected Visuals" for both updation.

avishek_g_3-1688919923176.png

Result:

Now upon clicking on the Global button you can show the Rate Slicer

avishek_g_1-1688919819372.png

While selecting the Local option in Currency will hide the Rate slicer

avishek_g_2-1688919876505.png

Point to not that when the user is clicking on the Currency sliceer, it's appearing that they are clicking on the slicer radio button but actually they are clicking two imvisible bookmarks that hide or show the other visual.

PPD
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks. I was able to achieve it with Bookmarks, and Selection Panes.

daxer-almighty
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You have to play with bookmarks and these 3 settings:

daxeralmighty_0-1631655968794.png

There's a very good video treatment of this topic from The Guy In a Cube (Adam Saxton) on YouTube:

(2) Mastering Power BI Bookmarks - YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors