Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with a measure, forget relationship

Hi everybody, 

I am trying to do a measure with a special condition. I have two tables, Job and JobLedgerEntry with a relation as One Job to Many JobLedgerEntry

I need a measure to know the max() of the field "JobLedgerEntry[PostingDate]" without the relation between the tables but with the filter (filter for using on the report) on the field JobLedgerEntry[PostingDate].

One solution could be delete the relation between the tables and use the function USERELATIONSHIP, but I have many measures depending of the relation. 

I can´t use LastDate because of it doest consider the filter on the field although it get to break the relation. 

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english. 

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I could get the value with this calculate column 

"PostingDateMax = CALCULATE(Max(JobLedgerEntry[PostingDate]);ALLSELECTED())", but when y put it on the measure doesnt work.

PostingDateMin = CALCULATE(Min(JobLedgerEntry[PostingDate]);ALLSELECTED()).

original measure:
Is closed = if((Job[ClosedDate] >= Min(JobLedgerEntry[PostingDate]) && Job[ClosedDate] <=Max(JobLedgerEntry[PostingDate]));"Closed" ;"Not closed"))

new measure:
Is closed = if((Job[ClosedDate] >= JobLedgerEntry[PostingDateMin] && Job[ClosedDate] <= JobLedgerEntry[PostingDateMax]);"Closed" ;"Not closed"))

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous not fully sure about your requirment, do you want MAXIMUM date across all the jobs? Read this post to get your answer quickly.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @parry2k ,

The measure is:

Is closed = if((Job[ClosedDate] >= Min(JobLedgerEntry[PostingDate]) && Job[ClosedDate] <=Max(JobLedgerEntry[PostingDate]));"Closed" ;"Not closed"))
Max and Min need the same special condition.

The Relation is: 1 Job to Many JobLedgerEntry

Example:

Table Job
JobNo ClosedDate
11OD18009 30/04/2019
Table JobLedgerEntry
JobNo PostingDate
11OD18009 31/12/2018
11OD18009 21/02/2019
Selected Filter on the report by the user:
PostingDate
05/10/2018..11/03/2019
Expected date:
Max should be 11/03/2019 and not 21/02/2019. Then, how can I keep the filter but breaking the relation between tables for max and min ?

Thanks a lot.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mate, paste a picture of the model in here because it looks like you're using different dates from different tables for different purposes and you don't seem to know what to filter to get this working.

Best

Dare

Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven´t sent any images because all fields and table names are in spanish and the measure is more complex. I think is more clear with a simple example than to show you images. So we only need the relation between the tables and the problem with max() and PostingDate.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You said:

Max should be 11/03/2019 and not 21/02/2019.

Well, then you need to extract the max from the slicer and not the fact table.

Best

Darek

Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you want to tell with slicer? and the fact table ? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please, learn a bit about the proper design: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvIVMEFQokE

Best

Darek

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors