Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with Optimizing Measure

Hi, I need help to optimize this measure that returns the working days between two dates. There was no issue when the dataset was a month's worth (~200k rows) but since I added more months (now at 3M+ rows) it is taking too long, sometimes coming up with error "not enough memory to process..." Appreciate any help please.

Let me know if you need access to file (353MB)

Job to Accep Working Days = 
var _d_jbook = DATEVALUE( Minx('FreightForward v2', [JOB_BOOKING_DATETIME]))
var _d_accept = if ( Maxx('FreightForward v2', [ACCEPTANCE_DATETIME]) = blank(), blank(), DATEVALUE( Maxx('FreightForward v2', [ACCEPTANCE_DATETIME] ) ))
var _d_end = if (ISBLANK(_d_accept) || _d_jbook > _d_accept, _d_jbook, _d_accept)
var _workdays = CALCULATE( countrows( 'Calendar Job Booking'), 
                    DATESBETWEEN('Calendar Job Booking'[Date], _d_jbook, _d_end), 
                    FILTER('Calendar Job Booking', 'Calendar Job Booking'[WorkingDay] = "yes")
                    )
RETURN if (ISBLANK(_d_accept), blank(), _workdays -1)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

You'll need a couple of extra columns to do this.  One to hold days with "10+" for results > 10, and a second column to hold the sort order for the first column.

They're both very similar to your existing Job to Accep Working Days column, just altering the RETURN part.

Job to Accep Working Days (10max) = 
var _d_jbook = DATEVALUE( [JOB_BOOKING_DATETIME])
var _d_accept = if ( [ACCEPTANCE_DATETIME] = blank(), blank(), DATEVALUE( [ACCEPTANCE_DATETIME] ))
var _d_end = if (ISBLANK(_d_accept) || _d_jbook > _d_accept, _d_jbook, _d_accept)
                    )
RETURN 
if (ISBLANK(_d_accept), 
    blank(),
    IF(_workdays -1 >=10, 
        "10+",
        FORMAT(_workdays -1, "#")
    )
)
Job to Accep Working Days (10max) Order = 
var _d_accept = if ( [ACCEPTANCE_DATETIME] = blank(), blank(), DATEVALUE( [ACCEPTANCE_DATETIME] ))
                    )
RETURN 
if (ISBLANK(_d_accept), 
    blank(),
    IF(_workdays -1 >=10, 
        _workdays -1
    )
)

You then set the sort order for the Job to Accep Working Days (10max) column in the Data view.

PaulOlding_0-1635848958094.png

Final result:

PaulOlding_1-1635849247627.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
VahidDM
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you share a sample of your data in the table format [to be able to copy and paste that]?

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @VahidDM , here is sample file with reduced dataset - 1month only

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dmmbhdbzySZBr8oTxj9CWsmztwFQ3f8A?usp=sharing

Hi @Anonymous 

Here's the baseline performance of your measure:

PaulOlding_0-1635761663071.png

5.8s to run, but more importantly 5 SE (Storage Engine) queries of which 3 are tables with a large number of rows.  Reducing the number of queries and/or their size should be the aim as that's what will improve performance.

That leads to the first thing you can do - split your datetime fields into a date field and a time field.  The SE queries with 300k rows are because you're using datetime fields in your visual, but the time has no bearing on this calculation.

If you were to use the same measure on a visual with JOB_BOOKING_DATE and ACCEPTANCE_DATE (new date fields) then you'd get this performance:

PaulOlding_1-1635762604604.png

Down to 42ms.  Same number of SE Queries but they're much smaller.

A second thing that occurs to me is does this need to be a measure or could it be a calculated column?  Having the working days pre-calculated is always going to be quicker than a measure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @PaulOlding , thanks for clarifying the issue. I used custom column before but the expected results were not correct however I've managed to get it to work now and everything works fine.

I have a question if you're able to assist please. I have another measure that displays jobs by working days as per screenshot below but I want to group working days >=10 and show as 10+ i.e. it will sum jobs >=10 so for the screenshot example, the expected result will show value of 167(29+2+4+74+14+2+1+41) for 10+

Here's link to sample file

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dmmbhdbzySZBr8oTxj9CWsmztwFQ3f8A?usp=sharing

Screenshot 2021-11-02 105119.jpg

Hi @Anonymous 

You'll need a couple of extra columns to do this.  One to hold days with "10+" for results > 10, and a second column to hold the sort order for the first column.

They're both very similar to your existing Job to Accep Working Days column, just altering the RETURN part.

Job to Accep Working Days (10max) = 
                    )
RETURN 
if (ISBLANK(_d_accept), 
    blank(),
    IF(_workdays -1 >=10, 
        "10+",
        FORMAT(_workdays -1, "#")
    )
)
Job to Accep Working Days (10max) Order = 
                    )
RETURN 
if (ISBLANK(_d_accept), 
    blank(),
    IF(_workdays -1 >=10, 
        _workdays -1
    )
)

You then set the sort order for the Job to Accep Working Days (10max) column in the Data view.

PaulOlding_0-1635848958094.png

Final result:

PaulOlding_1-1635849247627.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PaulOlding, perfect that worked. Cool ninja stuff with the first measure with no values showing but acting as a 'holding' / 'storage' column. Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors