Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with DAX

Hi,

I just have started with DAX, and I would create my first measure, but something is wrong.

I have a comment "cannot find name of column".

Could you explain to me why is that?

Kasia654_0-1638650187082.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

If you're writing a measure, then you can't refer to a raw column since it doesn't know which values from that column you want are, so you need to use some kind of aggregation.

Assuming there actually is a column named STATUS in the table 'EWW 2022', you can write

IF (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'EWW 2022'[STATUS] ) = "REALIZACJA",
    SUM ( 'EWW 2022'[TURNOVER] )
)

However, the error message associated with the common DAX mistake above is different.

Are you sure STATUS is actually a column on 'EWW 2022' and not a different table and that there aren't extra spaces or something similar in the name?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

A really good place to start learning is this free video course:

https://www.sqlbi.com/p/introducing-dax-video-course/

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

If you're writing a measure, then you can't refer to a raw column since it doesn't know which values from that column you want are, so you need to use some kind of aggregation.

Assuming there actually is a column named STATUS in the table 'EWW 2022', you can write

IF (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'EWW 2022'[STATUS] ) = "REALIZACJA",
    SUM ( 'EWW 2022'[TURNOVER] )
)

However, the error message associated with the common DAX mistake above is different.

Are you sure STATUS is actually a column on 'EWW 2022' and not a different table and that there aren't extra spaces or something similar in the name?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your help!
It was exactly what I needed 🙂
I wanted to start with a simple function, and it turned out that it isn't as easy as I thought

Were you trying to sum the turnover column only where the status of each row equaled REALIZACJA?

If so I think the following is what you want:

CALCULATE(
    SUM ( 'EWW 2022'[TURNOVER] ),
    'EWW 2022'[STATUS] = "REALIZACJA"
)

CALCULATE lets you add a filter in directly (amoungst other things!) rather than relying on a slicer etc.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors