Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with Circular Reference Error

Hello Power BI Gurus,

I am stuck with an issue where I have created a few measures and one of the measure is erroring out because of circular reference. It have tried many alternatives but haven't been successful. It might be pertty trivial issue and I may have been overthinking. 

Requirement : I have a data set about agents completing cases everymonth and getting paid in Tiers depending upon the cases they complete. If they don't reach threshold for a Tier , the cases get carried to next month and evaluated with next month's cases .Tiers defined are 40,80 and 120 , so if an agent completes 37 cases,all of his cases get processed next month and if his completes 45 , he gets paid for 40 and 5 of his cases move to next month & so on.

Here is the data set and calculations I have iused to implement the logic where 4th measure errors out with circular reference. Any ideas on how I can resolve this as I have tried quite a few things but nothing seemed to have helped resolving this.Thanks for your help in advance

Table columnsTable columnsTable columnsTable columnsMeasuresMeasuresMeasuresMeasuresMeasures
AgentMonth Cases solvedCarry forward to next monthPending from Last monthTotal cases this monthCarry forward from Previous MonthTier
ABJan 20207(20+7) =277No Payment
ABFeb 30302027+30=57 and not 20+30 as 27 from previous month is below threshold and hence carried forward27Tier1
ABMar 4003040+17 from prev month (As 57 crossed tier 1 threshold
 hence remaining 17 would flow through to this month
17Tier1
ABApr 6020060+17 =77 to be processed which falls short of 80(Tier2
threshold)  and hence 37 would carry forward
37Tier1
AAJan 30302030+20=50 ,40 to be processed and 10 carry forward to next month
New agent counter restarts from first month of service for agent)
10Tier1
AAFeb 800309010Tier2
AAMar 9010090+1020Tier2
AAApr 466106626Tier1

Below are the measure calculations :

1)
PendingLastmonth = CALCULATE(sum(Monthlypayments[Carry forward to next month]),PREVIOUSMONTH(Calendar_dim[Date].[Date]))

2) Carry Forward from previous month = CALCULATE([Carried to next month],PREVIOUSMONTH(Calendar_dim[Date].[Date]))

3)
Carried to next month = if([totalcase]<40, [Totalcase], (if([Totalcase]>=40
&& [Totalcase]<80, [Totalcase]-40,(if(([Totalcase])>=80 && [Totalcase]<120,
[Totalcase]-80,(if([Totalcase]>=120, [Totalcase]-120,0)))))))
4)
Totalcase = sum(Monthlypayments[Total case])+[Carried from previous month]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , this sequence of measure is not correct,

Create a cumulative measure and try like

Cumm cases last month = CALCULATE(sum(Monthlypayments[Total case]),filter(allselected(date),date[date] <=maxx(date,dateadd(date[date]),-1,year)))
cases this month = sum(Monthlypayments[Total case])

paid this month = Quotient(mod([Cumm cases last month],40) + [Cumm cases this month], 40)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , this sequence of measure is not correct,

Create a cumulative measure and try like

Cumm cases last month = CALCULATE(sum(Monthlypayments[Total case]),filter(allselected(date),date[date] <=maxx(date,dateadd(date[date]),-1,year)))
cases this month = sum(Monthlypayments[Total case])

paid this month = Quotient(mod([Cumm cases last month],40) + [Cumm cases this month], 40)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amit, Thanks for your previous solution. There is one more issue on top of the above, that I got stuck with and I am not able to get it working.  If an employee's total is more than 120 cases then we need to carry forward the entire amount forward rather than a mod of 40, For eg, if the total is 165 then we should carry forward 45 and not 5 . I have tried using If condition to divide by 40 when <120 and divide by 120 and use that to associate it to the next month's row .

Carry forward t o next month does work well but when I try to use in the next row using previous month or date add it doesn't quite me the correct results

CarryforwardtoNextmonth = If((Sum(Monthlypayments[Total Specialities])+[CarryForward]) >120,mod(Sum(Monthlypayments[Total Specialities])+[CarryForward],120),mod(Sum(Monthlypayments[Total Specialities])+[CarryForward],40)).

Casesfrompreviousmonth=calculate(carry forward to next month, previousmonth(calendar.date))

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's Brilliant Amit! Thanks a lot for this quick solution! I was struggling to get the Cumulative sum working as I use using Max in the data comparison rather than MAxx function.  This really helped me get through the blocker. Thanks again for your help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors