Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andreyinfo
Frequent Visitor

Help needed - How to create a single row table with the value from a selectedvalue.

I need to create a table and then with this table, to create another table. But the first table need to be created from a selection.

Tried everything and I just can't go on.
The measure getting the selectedvalue:

Selected = SELECTEDVALUE(dProducts[ProductCode])

The first table attempt :

FilteredBySelectedValue = 
Var _ProductCode = [Selected]
Return
ROW( "ProductCode",_ProductCode)

The second table attempt :

fBasketRelated = 
FILTER(
CROSSJOIN(
VALUES(FilteredBySelectedValue[ProductCode]),SELECTCOLUMNS( VALUES( fSalesDetails[ProductCode]),"RProductCode",[ProductCode])),[ProductCode]>[RProductCode])

The result : Nowhere.

f1f1

The model :

f2f2
@stevedep 

The PBI file 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's not possible. Tables in a model are always static and loaded at load time (then set in stone!).

Secondly, you can only create table variables in dynamic code that describes measures but such tables are gone as soon as the measure's been calculated.

Best
D

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I think it depends what you expect to do with the result.  If you start constructing a table from a selectedvalue in a filter context then you can use that table in memory and transform it as needed but the final return value needs to be scalar (a count of rows, or a CONCATENATEX of values).

So, if got it right, my final result needs to be a measure, because a table return more than one result.

If so, there is no solution for my needs?

Because I need to create a table : 

Table = 
FILTER(
    CROSSJOIN(
        VALUES(FilteredBySelectedValue[ProductCode]),SELECTCOLUMNS( VALUES( fSalesDetails[ProductCode]),"RProductCode",[ProductCode])),[ProductCode]>[RProductCode])

And the first values ("VALUES(FilteredBySelectedValue[ProductCode])") needs to come from a selectedvalue.

your final result type must match the type of the original value.  

How do you expect to consume the table that you created out of  a scalar value?

I thought that with this code I would create a table with a single row and column(Figure 1), and it seems a scalar result because it is only one of it's kind. Please, note that if I set the value manually (VAR _ProductCodeTyped ) I get the desired value and I can consume the table to generate the second table (figure 2).

Figure 1Figure 1

And then with the second table I would create columns and measures.

Figure 2Figure 2

If I got your question right. @lbendlin .

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's not possible. Tables in a model are always static and loaded at load time (then set in stone!).

Secondly, you can only create table variables in dynamic code that describes measures but such tables are gone as soon as the measure's been calculated.

Best
D

you might get away with a single row/single column table as the final output. But not as an intermediate step to a larger table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors