Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nalmeida
Regular Visitor

% Growth

Hi all, Im fairly new to Power BI and I need to know the % growth of my company.

Yesterday I came across one of BI's Elite videos (DAX for Power BI - Dynamic % Change - YouTube) where he shows you how to calculate % Change over various dates.

I followed the instructions correctly, measures are fain and all. But how can the third quarter of 2020 (2020 Trim 3) shows only a 1.47 % change when it when from 159.8mill (2020 Trim 2) to 394.7mill in the next quarter...

CIGqP1o

To give you some context, i'm trying to show % growth or decrease

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@nalmeida , do you have date table? and have you used measures like these

QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date])))
Last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER)))

@amitchandak wrote:

@nalmeida, do you have date table? and have you used measures like these

QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date])))
Last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER)))

Hi!

Yes, I have a date table where it shows day, month, Q, and year. 

No, I used the same exact measures shown in the video: 

% Change =
VAR CurrentValue = [Total en medida]
VAR PreviousValue =
SWITCH(
TRUE(),
ISINSCOPE(Consolidado[Fecha de pedido].[Día]), CALCULATE([Total en medida], DATEADD(Consolidado[Fecha de pedido].[Date], -1, DAY)),
ISINSCOPE(Consolidado[Fecha de pedido].[Mes]), CALCULATE([Total en medida], PARALLELPERIOD(Consolidado[Fecha de pedido].[Date], -1, MONTH)),
ISINSCOPE(Consolidado[Fecha de pedido].[Trimestre]), CALCULATE([Total en medida], PARALLELPERIOD(Consolidado[Fecha de pedido].[Date], -1, QUARTER)),
ISINSCOPE(Consolidado[Fecha de pedido].[Año]), CALCULATE([Total en medida], PARALLELPERIOD(Consolidado[Fecha de pedido].[Date], -1, YEAR))
)
Return
DIVIDE(
CurrentValue - PreviousValue,
PreviousValue
)

At this point Im pretty confused, maybe this it not the right measure to show % in growth. 

Im going to try with the measure that you mention of course.

Hi @nalmeida,

Did you apply any other filters on your table records that may affect the date table records? AFAIK, time intelligence functions require a complete calendar table for calculating. Perhaps you can try to use date function manly filter specific date range to calculate.

Time Intelligence "The Hard Way" (TITHW)  
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors