Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Group tenure months and count the total

Hi All,

I'll explain the data first:

I have a data set with

- customer number (BPART)

- start date of tenure

- end date of tenure

In order to report the total count of customer for each month, I have a relationship of many to many through a bridge to a Date dimension

diegomorales_0-1637640841302.png

So for instance, if the customer tenure starts in "jan2020" and ends in "December2021", and i am reporting for the month of "March2020", then I can count that customer as active for that month, and so on.. 

I can calculate the tenure in months for each customer using dax, and when I change the DATE, then the tenure changes acordingly

tenure_month = DATEDIFF(ENDOFMONTH(BP_TENURE_STAGE_BRIDGE[BP_TENURE_START]),MAX(DIMDATE[DateFullName]),MONTH)

diegomorales_2-1637641193642.png

What I need to do is to group this "tenure month" and count the total customers for each group, using the following grouping

• < 3 months 
  • 4-6 months
  • 7-12 months
  • 13-24 months
  • 25-60 months
  • +61 months

This has to be dinamyc, because when I change the reporting period (from the Date Dimension), the tenure for some customer may move from one bucket of tenure into the other one.

So it would have to look something like this:

diegomorales_3-1637642053986.png

I imagine that this has to be achieved by creating a virtual table that summarises the values, but I cant figure out how to do it.

Due to sensitive data I cant share the PBI file

Thank you very much, and let me know if any extra clarification is needed

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , I have used these formula in HR with a Date table with some changes they should work in this case

Method 1

Employees = COUNT(Emp[Employee Id ])
Hire = CALCULATE([Employees], USERELATIONSHIP('Date'[Date], Emp[Start Date]))
Teminated = CALCULATE([Employees], USERELATIONSHIP('Date'[Date], Emp[End Date]), not (ISBLANK(Emp[End Date])))

Total Emp = CALCULATE( Countx(FILTER(Emp, Emp[Start Date] <= Max('Date'[Date]) && (ISBLANK(Emp[End Date]) || Emp[End Date] >Max('Date'[Date]))),[Employees]) , CROSSFILTER('Date'[Date],Emp[Start Date],None))

Method 2

Cumm Hire = CALCULATE([Hire], FILTER(ALL('Date') , 'Date'[Date] <= max('Date'[Date])))
Cumm Termination = CALCULATE([Teminated], FILTER(ALL('Date'), 'Date'[Date] <= Max('Date'[Date])))
Current Employee = [Cumm Hire] -[Cumm Termination]

Date table is joined with a start date as active and end date with inactive join

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend/ba-p/882970

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mate, this looks great, but unfortunately it doesnt answer my main pain point whihc is creating virtually these bucket of tenure. I need to be able to group them and count the total by group, and that total has to change along with the customer moving onto diff buckets when I change the date

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors