Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Vibration85
Helper II
Helper II

Group table in terms of date column and specific value of another column

Hello all,

I have a problem which sounds so easy but as I'm a newbie I can't manage it and need your expertise to help me please:

As a sample you can have a look at the table below:

I need to remove all the rows which have not Main Category value on their date (in this example I should remove rows 9,10,11), The main category value here is the beginning point for my process per day and if it does not exist in a day, I should remove all the other records on that specific date or ignore them

Vibration85_0-1624802246548.png

could you please let me know how can I make a DAX code or M-query to fix it? as my data are thousands or millions, needs to have the fastest one.

Many thanks 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@Vibration85,

Try this solution in Power Query.

1. Create table MainCategoryDates, consisting of distinct dates for "Main Category" rows.

let
    Source = OriginalTable,
    FilterRows = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Main column] = "Main Category")),
    RemoveColumns = Table.SelectColumns(FilterRows,{"Date"}),
    RemoveDuplicates = Table.Distinct(RemoveColumns)
in
    RemoveDuplicates

2. Merge table MainCategoryDates with the data table using an inner join on the Date column.

DataInsights_0-1624814002728.png

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(OriginalTable, {"Date"}, MainCategoryDates, {"Date"}, "MainCategoryDates", JoinKind.Inner),
    RemoveColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"MainCategoryDates"})
in
    RemoveColumns

3. Result:

DataInsights_2-1624814042837.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8k3MzFNwTixJTc8vqlTSUTIyMDLUNTDTNTBUitWJVkovKlAwxC5shCmMyzBDI7guY+zCJsjCFnBhU+zCZmjCsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Main Column" = _t, Date = _t]),
    #"Grouped by Date" = Table.Group(Source, {"Date"}, {{"res", each if List.PositionOf([Main Column], "Main Category")<>-1 then _ else null}}),
    #"Expanded Rows" = let cols=Table.ColumnNames(Source) in Table.ExpandTableColumn(Table.SelectRows(Table.RemoveColumns(#"Grouped by Date", "Date"), each not([res] is null)), "res", cols, cols)
in
    #"Expanded Rows"

Screenshot 2021-06-27 200741.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8k3MzFNwTixJTc8vqlTSUTIyMDLUNTDTNTBUitWJVkovKlAwxC5shCmMyzBDI7guY+zCJsjCFnBhU+zCZmjCsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Main Column" = _t, Date = _t]),
    #"Grouped by Date" = Table.Group(Source, {"Date"}, {{"res", each if List.PositionOf([Main Column], "Main Category")<>-1 then _ else null}}),
    #"Expanded Rows" = let cols=Table.ColumnNames(Source) in Table.ExpandTableColumn(Table.SelectRows(Table.RemoveColumns(#"Grouped by Date", "Date"), each not([res] is null)), "res", cols, cols)
in
    #"Expanded Rows"

Screenshot 2021-06-27 200741.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

May I ask if I want to add another column to have the condition based on that as well, how can I extend this query?  I have another column called category_id, and I want to check if we have the Main category check the category_id of all these group1, group2, ... and if their category_ids is the same as the Main category then accumulate prices of them:

Vibration85_0-1624887538705.png

For the above example if group 1, group 2 has the same category_id as the Main category, 

I need to sum up for Feb 12th prices of Main category + group 1 + group 2 = 1290+340+367

@Vibration85,

You can use Group By in Power Query. See step GroupRows:

let
  Source = OriginalTable,
  GroupByDate = Table.Group(
    Source,
    {"Date"},
    {{"res", each if List.PositionOf([Main column], "Main Category") <> - 1 then _ else null}}
  ),
  ExpandRows =
    let
      cols = Table.ColumnNames(Source)
    in
      Table.ExpandTableColumn(
        Table.SelectRows(Table.RemoveColumns(GroupByDate, "Date"), each not ([res] is null)),
        "res",
        cols,
        cols
      ),
  ChangeType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(
    ExpandRows,
    {{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Date", type date}, {"Price", Int64.Type}}
  ),
  GroupRows = Table.Group(
    ChangeType,
    {"Date", "category_id"},
    {{"Sum Price", each List.Sum([Price]), type number}}
  )
in
  GroupRows

DataInsights_0-1624921169485.png

@DataInsights   thanks a lot, it works well and now I learned how can I group-by a table with one or more conditions ... that was what exactly I wanted 🙂 

Many thanks, it works well 🙂 

DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@Vibration85,

Try this solution in Power Query.

1. Create table MainCategoryDates, consisting of distinct dates for "Main Category" rows.

let
    Source = OriginalTable,
    FilterRows = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Main column] = "Main Category")),
    RemoveColumns = Table.SelectColumns(FilterRows,{"Date"}),
    RemoveDuplicates = Table.Distinct(RemoveColumns)
in
    RemoveDuplicates

2. Merge table MainCategoryDates with the data table using an inner join on the Date column.

DataInsights_0-1624814002728.png

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(OriginalTable, {"Date"}, MainCategoryDates, {"Date"}, "MainCategoryDates", JoinKind.Inner),
    RemoveColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"MainCategoryDates"})
in
    RemoveColumns

3. Result:

DataInsights_2-1624814042837.png

Thank you, it works well for both solutions 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors