Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

userdata
Helper IV
Helper IV

Getting last month sales without any date table

Hi all,

I cant use a date table for various reasons but I cant make it work how to get previous month sales without the date time intelligence.

What i want is when the user selects 2019 and month 1 he sees the sales of 2018 and month 12 next to it. 

Whats the replacement for Calculate(SUM(sales), dateadd(date, month, -1) if the date table isnt there?

I have only one table with my sales and companies.

I tried using calculate(SUM(table (sales), filter(table(monthyear)= selectedvalue(monthyear) -1 but this doesnt show me nothing , just 0s. Any ideas?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Having looked at your file, here's what I recommend.

Define a new calculated column:

EoM = EOMONTH ( Data[Date], 0 )

Then a measure:

PrevMonthSum = 
VAR PrevMonthEnd =
    EOMONTH ( SELECTEDVALUE ( Data[EoM] ), -1 )
RETURN
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( Data[Amount] ), ALLSELECTED ( Data ), Data[EoM] = PrevMonthEnd )
userdata
Helper IV
Helper IV

Thanks to both of you! I tried both but the problem was that the first solution @Jihwan_Kim  doesnt give me any values, I guess its because of the ALL (table) as I have to show also other entities in the table. I tried to remove that but that didnt do anything either. I only get blanks.

@AlexisOlson  When I try your  measure it gives me values but when I select month beginning like 2020 and month 1, it doesnt show the previous year month value ( it should show month 12 and year 2019) , it just shows blank. I have a filter on the page where I have monthyear when the measure works but as the user wants the date slicer in the format of Jan-2020 , then below measuer wont show me anything although the Jan-2020 is sorted by monthyear. Not sure how to resolve this? 

What does your [monthyear] column look like? If it's an integer like 201912, then subtracting 1 from 202001 definitely doesn't give the right result. I'd suggest working with a column that's the last day of the month so you can use EOMONTH to shift dates. You might need to create a new calculated column for this but I can't tell you quite how to write one without knowing what [monthyear] looks like.

Hi, 

Thank you for your feedback.

I think the reason that my solution gives a result in my model and it does not give any result in your model is because my model and yours are different.

Without knowing your model, I can only rely on my imagination and I have to create something new.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

HI @Jihwan_Kim ,

I just added some dummy data where there is a date slicer int he format of aug 2021 etc and I tried your measures , but it doesnt give me any values? What am I doing wrong?

I just have the file here ; https://github.com/userdata21/test/blob/main/previous%20month.pbix

Many thanks!

Hi, 

Thank you for your message.

Please try to fix the measure like below.

I think RIGHT function and LEFT function are missplaced.

Mine is starting with month number, but yours is starting with year number.

Previous month sales : =
VAR yearnumber =
INT ( LEFT ( SELECTEDVALUE ( Data[Sort month year] ), 4 ) )
VAR monthnumber =
INT ( RIGHT ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Data'[Sort month year] ), 2 ) )
VAR currentyearmonthnumber = yearnumber * 12 + monthnumber
RETURN
CALCULATE (
[Amount Sum],
FILTER (
ALL ( Data ),
CALCULATE (
INT ( LEFT ( SELECTEDVALUE ( Data[Sort month year] ), 4 ) ) * 12
+ INT ( RIGHT ( SELECTEDVALUE ( Data[Sort month year] ), 2 ) )
) = currentyearmonthnumber - 1
)
)

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

If you have a column for soring a monthyear column, it will be much easier to author DAX measure.

I assume you do not have a column for sorting a monthyear column, and monthyear column is a text type.

In that case, please check the below.

Picture2.png

Sales total : =
SUM('Table'[sales] )

Previous month sales : =
VAR yearnumber =
INT ( RIGHT ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[monthyear] ), 4 ) )
VAR monthnumber =
INT ( LEFT ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[monthyear] ), 2 ) )
VAR currentyearmonthnumber = yearnumber * 12 + monthnumber
RETURN
CALCULATE (
[Sales total :],
FILTER (
ALL ( 'Table' ),
CALCULATE (
INT ( RIGHT ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[monthyear] ), 4 ) ) * 12
+ INT ( LEFT ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[monthyear] ), 2 ) ) = currentyearmonthnumber - 1
)
)
)

Go to My LinkedIn Page

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

You need something to remove or replace the current month filter context.

Try something this:

PrevMonthSum =
VAR SelectedMonthYear = SELECTEDVALUE ( table1[monthyear] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( table1[sales] ), table1[monthyear] = SelectedMonthYear - 1 )

or this

SumPrevMonth = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( table1[sales] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( table1[monthyear] ),
        table1[monthyear] = SELECTEDVALUE ( table1[monthyear] ) - 1
    )
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors