Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rapier
Frequent Visitor

Fixed row numbers in Table like in Excel

Hi All,

Is there any way to add a "fixed" row number column to tables visuals? It should be something similar like in Excel the index numbers of rows, also start from 1 and show for all rows a unique number, but changing the sort of rows hasn't effect on this.

I found many idea to add serial numbers, but all of these change the order of index column, when I sort some of columns.

Oh, and this tables contain summarized values, also it should be solved with DAX.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rapier - Did you find a solution to your query yet?

@CNENFRNL - The fixed row number requirement raised could be useful in a scenario where a user wants to sort a column (lets say = "Country") in a Table visual (having 4 column: Date, Country, Sales, Cumulative Sales) and yet want to see the cumulative SUM of Sales based on Ascending / Descending order of Country column alphabetically.

Next, in the same visual the user wants to sort the "Date" column and want to see the Cumulative SUM of Sales based on Ascending / Descending order of Date. 

@Rapierhas raised a good question here because other tools such as SAP Business Objects allows the user to sort the visual column and calculates the Cumulative SUM dynamically based on the sorted column.

Please let us know if anyone has come across same/similar requirement and if there is any tips or tricks available in PowerBI?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Rapier , In matrix , the first row and columns are fixed. No more options.

You can add an index column in Power Query/edit query/Transform Data

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45715963/creating-an-index-column-for-power-bi

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Rapier Sounds a bit weird, what's the point of its existence since you want them to keep static despite of sorting?

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Good question @CNENFRNL ...:\ But one of my clients would like to check tables like as in Excel...Scrolling down, and see what is the first 100 items. Of course I tried to advice to use TOPN filtering, but they insist on this kind of method. And biggest problem, that they have some kind of Tableau report, where it is possible to create a fixed serial number column (with function INDEX() maybe)

Also it would be great to solve on similar way here, and keep a single series of numbers in first column independent from any other columns.

@amitchandak I know, that it's possible to create PQ index column, but as I said because of groups it is not usable here. With matrix the problem is, that rows and columns are filters on values, also it should be some kind of relationship between data, otherwise table will show the whole amounts in every rows or the first/last items in case of dimensions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors