Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jayjani
Helper I
Helper I

Fiscal Year Issue

Hello,

I have my Excel sheet formatted in the below way. I need to calculate the Month over Month change in Flash.

IndexRegionLocationTransfer OrgFYSubmissionCategoryQ1Q2Q3Q4
606GeoIndiaCompute TowerFY19Jun FlashCost0.010.010.010.01
607GeoIndiaCompute TowerFY19Jul FlashCost0.000.010.010.01
608GeoIndiaHITFY19Jun FlashCost0.070.090.140.14
609GeoIndiaHITFY19Jul FlashCost0.190.230.220.22
610GeoIndiaSDCFY19Jun FlashCost0.010.010.010.01
611GeoIndiaSDCFY19Jul FlashCost0.010.010.010.01

First, I unpivoted my data in Power BI to have just one column for 'Quarters'. Then I split FY and Submission column to fetch 'Year' and 'Month'.

I created a separate 'Date Table' and adjusted Date as per my Org's Fiscal Year (FY starts in November) using the command -

Date = IF( 'Month Index'[FY Month No] < 3, 'Month Index'[FY Month No] + 10, 'Month Index'[FY Month No] -2 ) & "/1/" & 'Month Index'[Year])

However, when I use the Quick Measure 'MoM change', it doesn't calculate the actual difference and results following:

Capture.PNG

If somebody could help, I would deeply appreciate it. I have been working on this the entire week.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to DENORMALIZE your fact table COMPLETELY and correctly connect it to a Date table. It won't work in any other way if you want to use Quick Measures. So, no columns like Q1, Q2, Q3... You have to assign the rows in your fact table concrete dates, like, for instance, the first/last day of a quarter. And then, for this whole thing to work you have to hide the columns in your Date table that have a granularity higher than quarter.

Best

Darek

Thank you Darek. I already unpivoted Q1,Q2,Q3,Q4 columns into a single Quarters column.

I didn't understand hiding columns. How will that make a difference?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, your fact table's granularity is the Quarter. If you start slicing it by months/dates, then you'll get numbers that will be incorrect or rather correct but not easy to interpret. Hiding the columns with higher granularities prevents people from using them and thus from seeing bullsh*t. But, of course, you're free to leave them visible. However, you then have to make sure yourself that your measures are aware of which granularity has been requested and take action accordingly.

Best

Darek

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you upload some sample data?  Seems like a relatively quick solution, but would like to see some of the data if possible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors