cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calexander1337
Frequent Visitor

Finding the minimum value for each row IF the two conditions are TRUE

Hey everyone, I'm trying to find a way to create a custom column that allows me to find the minimum value of each row if the conditions in two other columns are true.

To put some clarity, I have a field named QuantityNeeded that I am trying to find the minimum of.  I want to find the minimum for every row in QuantityNeeded whenever the field Required? is "Optional" AND whenever the field CompetencyType is "Exams."

I tried writing a DAX formula to solve this problem, but I'm unfamiliar with complex DAX solutions.  Below is the DAX that I wrote:

Minimum Needed = IF('CompetencyRequirements'[CompetencyType]="Exams" && 'CompetencyRequirements'[Required?]="Optional", MINX(FILTER(CompetencyRequirements, [CompetencyType]="Exams"), FILTER(CompetencyRequirements, [Required?]="Optional")) ,BLANK())

All fields are within the same table, CompetencyRequirements, and the error I'm getting is: "The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value."  All I want to do is find the minimum of one column, QuantityNeeded, when the conditions of the other two columns are true.  I appreciate any and all help!!

3 REPLIES 3
Super User IV
Super User IV

Re: Finding the minimum value for each row IF the two conditions are TRUE

@calexander1337 Read this post to get your answer quickly.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.

Proud to be a Datanaut! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

avanderschilden Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello,

What about this?

Capture.PNG

Highlighted
calexander1337
Frequent Visitor

Hi! Thanks for your response.  This is a solution to the problem I presented, so I'll mark it as the solution.  Although, I realized I left out minor details in this post that make the problem more complex.  Regardless, this problem ended up getting solved internally, but I appreciate the effort you put into answering!

@avanderschilden wrote:

Hello,

What about this?

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors