Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

calexander1337
Frequent Visitor

Finding the minimum value for each row IF the two conditions are TRUE

Hey everyone, I'm trying to find a way to create a custom column that allows me to find the minimum value of each row if the conditions in two other columns are true.

To put some clarity, I have a field named QuantityNeeded that I am trying to find the minimum of.  I want to find the minimum for every row in QuantityNeeded whenever the field Required? is "Optional" AND whenever the field CompetencyType is "Exams."

I tried writing a DAX formula to solve this problem, but I'm unfamiliar with complex DAX solutions.  Below is the DAX that I wrote:

Minimum Needed = IF('CompetencyRequirements'[CompetencyType]="Exams" && 'CompetencyRequirements'[Required?]="Optional", MINX(FILTER(CompetencyRequirements, [CompetencyType]="Exams"), FILTER(CompetencyRequirements, [Required?]="Optional")) ,BLANK())

All fields are within the same table, CompetencyRequirements, and the error I'm getting is: "The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value."  All I want to do is find the minimum of one column, QuantityNeeded, when the conditions of the other two columns are true.  I appreciate any and all help!!

3 REPLIES 3
avanderschilden
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello,

What about this?

Capture.PNG

Hi! Thanks for your response.  This is a solution to the problem I presented, so I'll mark it as the solution.  Although, I realized I left out minor details in this post that make the problem more complex.  Regardless, this problem ended up getting solved internally, but I appreciate the effort you put into answering!

@avanderschilden wrote:

Hello,

What about this?

Capture.PNG

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@calexander1337 Read this post to get your answer quickly.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors