Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SzymonP
Frequent Visitor

Finding sum of unique values for set of columns

Hi all,

I'm only few hours into Power BI, though had my share with other tools, but I cannot find a way to do something, that's done by multiple steps in excel, so should be doable within DAX as well.

Imagine I have a big table, and there are four columns that are of interest for me, something like this:

CountryProductColorcount
PolandCarGreen120
PolandCarBlue120
PolandCarRed120
PolandBusGreen100
PolandBusRed100
GermanyCarGreen200
GermanyCarBlue200
GermanyCarRed200
GermanyBusGreen150
GermanyBusRed150

And depending on whether we want to see numbers by Product or Color, we will see numbers for countries like this:

By Product  By Color 
Poland220 Poland560
Germany350 Germany900

Basically, it's like making a small pivot with only 2-3 columns out of the big set, and summarizing the max value. That's how it's done in excel.

I was working with something like this:

SumMax = CALCULATE(
MAX(Sheet1[count]),
ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[Product]),
ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[Color]))
But it obviously doesnt work - it just returns max per Country it finds. 
I've tried some workaround to have a sumx of count/count(Country) with summarize (...,Product), but then it doesn't work inside a table that has no product column, so it's bad.

Thanks a lot for any help or link to a tutorial that would cover this.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SzymonP
Frequent Visitor

Just for the future reference, unfortunately none of the proposed solutions worked like a charm, though brought me closer to finding a working one, so big thanks to all the replies.

This is how I have done that:

1. I've created concatenated column inside the data source CPD =[country]&[product]&[date].date

2. I've created a rankx column (not measure): CPD_rank = 

= RANKX(FILTER(Sheet1,Sheet1[CPD]=EARLIER(Sheet1[CPD])),Sheet1[count]+rand(),,desc,skip)  //the rand part is essential, since I don't want tied 1st places
3. Now I've created measure that is a simple
= CALCULATE(sum(Sheet1[count]),Sheet1[CPD_rank]=1)
and I've replaced the steps for the second scenario, just added one more column.
I'm fairly sure it's not most efficient solution, but given the size of the data (up to few k rows) it works as intended.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SzymonP
Frequent Visitor

Just for the future reference, unfortunately none of the proposed solutions worked like a charm, though brought me closer to finding a working one, so big thanks to all the replies.

This is how I have done that:

1. I've created concatenated column inside the data source CPD =[country]&[product]&[date].date

2. I've created a rankx column (not measure): CPD_rank = 

= RANKX(FILTER(Sheet1,Sheet1[CPD]=EARLIER(Sheet1[CPD])),Sheet1[count]+rand(),,desc,skip)  //the rand part is essential, since I don't want tied 1st places
3. Now I've created measure that is a simple
= CALCULATE(sum(Sheet1[count]),Sheet1[CPD_rank]=1)
and I've replaced the steps for the second scenario, just added one more column.
I'm fairly sure it's not most efficient solution, but given the size of the data (up to few k rows) it works as intended.
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

So the logic is different between the 2 tables (not just different between Product and Color)?

First table is Country and a measure:

MeasureProduct = 
var _tabX = ADDCOLUMNS(SUMMARIZE(TableY, TableY[Product], TableY[count]), "MaxVal", CALCULATE(MAX(TableY[count])))
RETURN
SUMX(_tabX, [MaxVal])

The second one is just a country, SUM(count).  I'm not sure if this is what you really want for the second table but that's what it reduces to.

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @SzymonP 

from the visuals pane select "Table". First Drag the country into the values. Once there, click on the down arrowans make sure that "don't summarize" is selected. The do the same for "color". Then do the same for the "count" but this time select "Sum". 
you can create another table but this time use the "Product" instead of the "Color"

Hi, thanks, but this would leave me with two columns (Country and Product) instead of one.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Poland Car = 120.  Is this the MAX from within the group?

--

Can you explain the 2nd table (by color) please? It looks like the totals are returned i.e. different from the first table logic

Hey,

The 120 is the max/ average/ single value - whichever you like more. Second table logic is the same, the hidden table would be the whole presented table, as each row is unique.
If this was SQL, I would do second table like this:

select country, sum(count) from (

select distinct country, product, color, count

from table)

group by country

and first like this:

select country, sum(count) from (

select distinct country, product, count

from table)

group by country

I'm really bad at describing the logic sometimes 🙂

SzymonP
Frequent Visitor

Sorry for the confusion, I could've written more indeed.

The value in column count is corresponding 1-1 to each value in the "Product" column, though can differ month to month, but that's another topic.

To calculate sum, we take one row per each unique value in the column Product (first table) or Color (second table).

So we act like there's hidden column, and provide only the total amount. e.g. first "hidden" table would look like

CountryProductCount
PolandCar120
PolandBus100

And result in:

Poland 220

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

What's the logic for the 2 tables shown?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors