Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arielcedola
Helper III
Helper III

Filter context issue trying to visualize top ranked items in different categories

Hi,

I'm working with a dataset containing the subcategories Area, Product and Article for different Shops, and the amount of sales by Article. For each shop the ranking of Area is determined according to the total sales. Then for the Area ranked 1 the ranking of Products is found, and for the Product ranked 1 the ranking of the Articles is in turn determined.

So, for each Shop, I have the top Article within the top Product subcategory within the top Area of that Shop. Three shops, three top articles.

table shops3.png

Now I need to compare the sales of each of these three top articles in all the shops in a bar chart, switching the top Article by means of the Shop slicer already existent in the canvas: selecting Shop A the chart must show the sales of the top Article in Shop A in all three shops, and so on (shops in x-axis).

My problem is with the Shop filter. In the measure I need to get the sales in all shops but at the same time filtering by shop in order to set the article. I tested this measure but it doesn't work:

NSalesBarChart = 
VAR
Rank1Article = CALCULATE(
SELECTEDVALUE(Sales[Article]), 
FILTER(VALUES(Sales[Article]), [Rank Article] = 1) 
)
RETURN

CALCULATE(MIN(Sales[ArticleNSales]), Sales[Article] = Rank1Article)

Ideas? Find below the link to the pbix file. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eLWKETSCFSU0inPrFfVpyi2dI-DZ7tzj/view?usp=sharing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
arielcedola
Helper III
Helper III

Solved. I modified the measure as follows:

NSalesBarChart = 
VAR
CurrentShop = CALCULATE(SELECTEDVALUE(TabellaShop[Shop]))
VAR
)
RETURN

CALCULATE(MIN(Sales[ArticleNSales]), FILTER(ALL(Sales), Sales[Article] = Rank1Article && Sales[Shop] = currentShop))

I created an auxiliary table with the names of the shops (TabellaShop) and used these values on the x-axis of the bar chart. I filter the shop using this as a way to ignore the Shop filter context, applied rather to the selection of the top ranked Article to visualize.

Best,

Ariel

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
arielcedola
Helper III
Helper III

Solved. I modified the measure as follows:

NSalesBarChart = 
VAR
CurrentShop = CALCULATE(SELECTEDVALUE(TabellaShop[Shop]))
VAR
)
RETURN

CALCULATE(MIN(Sales[ArticleNSales]), FILTER(ALL(Sales), Sales[Article] = Rank1Article && Sales[Shop] = currentShop))

I created an auxiliary table with the names of the shops (TabellaShop) and used these values on the x-axis of the bar chart. I filter the shop using this as a way to ignore the Shop filter context, applied rather to the selection of the top ranked Article to visualize.

Best,

Ariel

It's ugly, but some might find its simplicity beautiful. Just duplicate your sales table and display a separate chart from the second table yet filtered on your number one article.

It's probably easy to understand for an outsider when they need to work with your file vs. trying to understand the DAX code required for the fancy solution. Unless of course performance prohibits this solution.

Does this work for you? If so, please mark as solution.

Kind regards,

Steve. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors