Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

obiee1
Frequent Visitor

Expanding monthly budget split by day name into daily budget

Hello Everyone,

This is the first time I'm asking a question and would like to get some help a situation that I can't seem to get out of. I have a date table, and a budget table. The budget table looks something like this

Budget

StateCategoryMonthDayAmount
XXXabcJulyWednesday$500
XXXabcAug

Monday

$600
XXXabcJulyThursday$1000
XXXxyzJulyMonday$100
ZZZabcJulyMonday$700

Date table

Date Month Year Day Name Day Week Month Name

01/07/2020 2020 Wednesday 1 26 July

02/07/2020 2020 Thursday 2 26 July

03/07/2020 2020 Friday 3 26 July

What I'm trying to do is to split the budget number split across days but it should be able to take into account the number of Mondays in month and in a week to calculate to calculate target on daily basis

so If the selected day is just 01/07/2020 for category abc for state XXX then result should be $100 as there are 5 Wednesdays in the month of July

If the date selection is 01/07/2020 to 02/07/2020 for category abc for state XXX then result should be $300.

Not sure if a measure or a new table is the correct choice.

Is there a way I can do a cross join the Budget and Date table to create a new table, and split the budget across each date ? so if the budget is $500 for 5 wednesdays in the month of July for state XXX and category abc, it will place $100 against each Wednesday for the month of July, and for Mondays in July for category abc for state ZZZ it will say ($700/4) = $175 for each date.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

I didn't have time to try this out but I think this approach will work, doing it all in the query editor.

1. Start with your budget table

2. Merge it with your Date table (created in M obviously).  Make the joins on the Month and Day columns.

3. Before you expand it, add a custom column to count the # of rows in the merged Date table (e.g., # of Wednesdays)

4. Add another column to divide your total amount by the count in #3

5. Expand your Date table to get your result with the Date you need and the divided amount

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

I didn't have time to try this out but I think this approach will work, doing it all in the query editor.

1. Start with your budget table

2. Merge it with your Date table (created in M obviously).  Make the joins on the Month and Day columns.

3. Before you expand it, add a custom column to count the # of rows in the merged Date table (e.g., # of Wednesdays)

4. Add another column to divide your total amount by the count in #3

5. Expand your Date table to get your result with the Date you need and the divided amount

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Hi Mahoneypat,

Thank you for the reply, I think this could be a solution. I struggled with pont 3 of yours though. 

If i'm adding it before expanding then would I do it before merge also? or have I not undstood it correctly?

Regards

Hi @obiee1 

Do you still have issues with this?

If you've fixed the issue on your own please kindly share your solution. If any of the above posts helped, please kindly mark it as a solution to help others find it more quickly. Thanks!

Cheers,
Sturla

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors