Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

garbafarhan
Frequent Visitor

Evaluating the difference of Hourly Meter Readings with DAX

Hi,

I have cumulative hourly meter readings (kWh) from 01/08/2018 00:00 to 31/08/2018 00:00 (https://1drv.ms/x/s!AntLmHOXlXNW0nkZHY4GZU8k3Mt5?e=bXWLuT)

Each of meter serial is unique and belongs to a certain feeder. what I want to achieve is to evaluate (using DAX column or a measure) for each meter in each feeder the hourly (kwh) from the cumulative i.e the difference between the hourly time steps readings. Thanks in advancesample_data.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @garbafarhan @kentyler ,

Here is the PBIX Difference in Meter Readings. The original data is in the first step, if you want to change it.

The important steps after you import the data in Power Query:

1. Determine the unique identifier. (See previous message)

2 Sort the order so that the unique identifier is sorted, then sort the date.  This will give you each meter side by side and the times with the earlier first. 

3. Once you have them in proper order, THEN you insert the index.  This will capture the correct order so that PBI can use it to look to the previous step to get the answer that you need.

4. Load the data to Power BI and create the calc as a new column as shown in the message above.

5. Create visuals...I put a couple that may work for you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

meter2.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @garbafarhan , @kentyler ,

Did it! Went down a lot of rabbit holes figuring this one out. Will give you the PBIX after I get it cleaned up - lot of rabbit holes.

The crux of the matter is in Power Query, getting the sort order correctly defined and then using the insertion of an index to capture that rather than only using the index to be able to go back one value.  In addition, I created a unique identifer by concatenating the Feeder and the Meter (In case the meters are not unique across feeders else you can use the meter id) Then there are three possible returns, 0, the answer, or blank if moving on to the next identifier. So, used a couple of IFs as well. Depending on what you want to see, you could chop off rows. 

The great thing about doing it this way of course is that it is automatic with refresh!

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for the issue.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Earlier Index = VAR earlyread = Calculate ( Max(Meter[READING]), Filter(All(Meter),Meter[Sort by time and unique ID]= EARLIER(Meter[Sort by time and unique ID])-1))
                var currentread = Meter[READING]
                var result = if (Meter[Sort by time and unique ID]=0,0, currentread - earlyread)

return   IF(Meter[Unique ID]= CALCULATE(max(Meter[Unique ID]), FILTER(ALL(Meter),Meter[Sort by time and unique ID]= EARLIER(Meter[Sort by time and unique ID])-1)),result)

meter1.PNG

Hi @garbafarhan @kentyler ,

Here is the PBIX Difference in Meter Readings. The original data is in the first step, if you want to change it.

The important steps after you import the data in Power Query:

1. Determine the unique identifier. (See previous message)

2 Sort the order so that the unique identifier is sorted, then sort the date.  This will give you each meter side by side and the times with the earlier first. 

3. Once you have them in proper order, THEN you insert the index.  This will capture the correct order so that PBI can use it to look to the previous step to get the answer that you need.

4. Load the data to Power BI and create the calc as a new column as shown in the message above.

5. Create visuals...I put a couple that may work for you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Nathaniel

meter2.PNG

Many thanks  @Nathaniel_C  it worked!. See picture below the power bi model hourly readings comparison with the excel values.  Would let you know if I have further questions.

Thank You.

Garbaexcel_powerbi.png

Hi @garbafarhan ,

So it looks like we are differing by a time period.  Could it be data? My output is on the second hour.

Nathaniel

@Nathaniel_C wrote:

Hi @garbafarhan ,

So it looks like we are differing by a time period.  Could it be data? My output is on the second hour.

Nathaniel

@Nathaniel_C  I have had a look at the excel output again, and found out that next day difference between 23:00 and 00:00 hours was not properly connected, have corrected it and now I am having an exact match between your output and mine.

Many thanks for your help

Garba

Many thanks @Nathaniel_C , worked!, See attached comparison with excel hourly differences. Would let you know if I have further questions.

Thanks very much

Garbaexcel_powerbi.png

@Nathaniel_C  great, thanks for your time, would compare your pbix with the results I got in excel. As your earlier mentioned the automatic refresh with same data format for other months would be the cool thing about the power bi model compared to excel.

Thank You

Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

@garbafarhan , @kentyler ,

Here is a pic of using the index, on the table and the code.  What it doesn't do is get the previous date by meter and Feeder. 

Nathaniel

Dif = var readnow = (Meter[READING])
        var readbefore = IF( Meter[Index] >  0, CALCULATE(MAX(Meter[READING]),FILTER(Meter, Meter[Index] = EARLIER(Meter[Index]  )-1)) ,Meter[READING])

return readnow - readbefore

meter.PNG

Yes the filter by meter and feeder  is now the issue

kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Sounds like your first step would be to add an index to the table. So you can use index-1 in your measures to give you access to the previous reading.

That should let you calculate the change from reading to reading.

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!