Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic column in measure calculation

Hi All,

New to Power BI and trying to work out how to dynamically select the column from my data table to perform a calculation on. For example I have 10 columns in my dataframe and want to calcualte the average for a column and then display it in a card. 

I then want to be able to use a slicer to select one of the other columns in the dataframe and have the card update with the average of that column. 

The reason I am doing this is I need to create a dashboard which shows summary statistics for each each column in a large dataframe (but only need to view one column at a time). My intention is to have a single page with the various summary statistics (e.g. Average, STDev, Range), and to be able to select the column/feature of interest to populate it and view.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's easy enough.

Create a table which will store all the column names you want. This will be your slicer. Then, for all the measures you want create a table that will store their names. This will be the slicer for which measures to show (this also be used in a table visual to show all the measures in one go). You need to create a version of each of the measures that works on a particular column, like SUM, AVG, STD... whatever. Then create a single measure that will use SWITCH and the name of the selected column from the slicer to make a decision which measure version to use and then use it to calculate the value. This setup will give you the freedom to even show a matrix of all the measures and all the columns in one visual.

Best

Darek

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors