Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic Table in DAX expression

Hello All,

I have the below dataset of products and store information. I would like to have a simple DAX Expression which returns Product and total sales.

Main Dataset:

CityProduct AProduct BProduct CProduct D
New York2356
Florida4545
Toronto5261
Boston7143

The expected result in DAX expression:

Product TypeTotal Sales
Product A18
Product B11
Product C19
Product D15

I don't mind writing hardcoded values for the Product. Basically, I would like to write some DAX expression like

Create new table

> Add row ( "Product A", Sum(ProductA),

> Add row ( "Product B", Sum(ProductB)

Return Table.

I don't want to create a separate calculated table as it doesn't sync with the main dataset on using a filter so looking to created Dax expression which will return the table and also remains in sync with the main dataset so whenever the filters are changed my values in the Dax table also changes.

Thanks in advance for the help.

9 REPLIES 9
AnkitKukreja
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

This seems quite straight forward, please go into query editor and select your product columns and unpivot them,
you'll get a desired result and for this you might not require dax as well, just drag the columns and it would sum up your data or you can use measure as well.

Query Editor, unpivot.JPG

Table.JPG

Thanks, 
Ankit Kukreja
www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-kukreja1904

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ankit,

Thanks for replying. In my case the unpivot option won't work so looking for a measure option here which returns the product and it's total. Will be great if you can tell me the DAX expression for the same.

Thanks,

Jay

Hi

Not sure what you were looking for exactly, but unpivot would be the best approach considering the scenario you have shared here. But, if you've some other requirements, then please use below dax for getting the same results.

Sales by Product =

UNION(

SELECTCOLUMNS( 'Table (2)' , "Product A" , "Product A" , "Sales" , 'Table (2)'[Product A] ),

SELECTCOLUMNS( 'Table (2)' , "Product B" , "Product B" , "Sales" , 'Table (2)'[Product B] ),

SELECTCOLUMNS( 'Table (2)' , "Product C" , "Product C" , "Sales" , 'Table (2)'[Product C] ),

SELECTCOLUMNS( 'Table (2)' , "Product D" , "Product D" , "Sales" , 'Table (2)'[Product D] )

)

Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ankit,

I tried above formula and it gave me the error viz. The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value.

Did you tried this dax in your test pbix ?IF so, can you please upload the sample pbix ?

Hi @Anonymous 

You're right this will not work in measure, i've used this as a Calculated table.
I missed you're point that you don't need a calculated table. So I'll let other folks provide you the solution, as I'm not aware about the same.

Will post my solution, when I'll get to it.

Thanks

Ankit

Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
Anonymous
Not applicable

Select columns will return only one column so this won't work in this situation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/selectcolumns-function-dax

Hi @Anonymous 

I believe calculate table or unpivot is the only option according to me.

Let's see if we can get any other solution.

Thanks,

Ankit

Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate table will have an issue of static data. Because it won't have dynamic data. Unpivot is also a one-time solution and the same challenge of static data. Thanks, Ankit for looking into though.

Hi @Anonymous 

But, unpivot would be added as a step in your query editor and it would update as your data is updated everytime. Just thinking it out loud, if you might have missed that point.
Anyways, thanks and good luck.

Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors