Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rpiboy_1
Resolver I
Resolver I

Dynamic Data Segmentation

First off, I've reviewed the various posts by RADACAD, Enterprise DNA and SQLBI on this topic.

I have measures based on RADACAD & SQLBI all working, but its not giving me what I need/want.

I don't know why I can't wrap my head around this. All I need is basic catorgization of my data. All of the examples are based upon financial or performance analysis. I just need to be able to filter a list to say 'here are all the rows that meet the criteria of X segement'.

Specifically I have data that reprsents how often PDFs are generated from various Report Tempalates; frequency of creation.

I have measure [Count Runs] that calculates how often each report has been run over time.

I just want to dynamically drop each report (row) into a bucket to segement the data based on how often each report was run.

Can anyone point me to existing documention that may aid me? If not I can post a sample data model, etc. but was hoping to avoid that.

#FrustratingFriday

5 REPLIES 5
FreemanZ
Super User
Super User

hi @rpiboy_1 

have you checked these:

https://www.daxpatterns.com/dynamic-segmentation/

https://www.daxpatterns.com/static-segmentation/

p.s posting sample data with expected result is always suggested.

@FreemanZ yes, Dax Patterns is SQLBI, though not their static segementation as I really rather have it be dynamic because I'm dealing with time.

Apologies on no sample data initially, had to run out the door to ferry a child to practice and frustrated.

Here is what I'm dealing with:

'Reports' table:

Report.IDReport Title
01Name1
02Name2
03Name3
04Name4

'Report Creation' table (related to Reports table by Report.ID):

Run.IDReport.IDDate

02xx/mm/yyyy
0202xx/mm/yyyy
0301xx/mm/yyyy
0403xx/mm/yyyy

xx/mm/yyyy

xx/mm/yyyy

xx/mm/yyyy

xx/mm/yyyy

xx/mm/yyyy

xx/mm/yyyy

There is also a Date Table, set-up properly.

I've defined the following segement table:

'Run Segements':

SegementNameMinMax
Low010
Mid1075
High751,000,000

I'd prefer to have the High Max as 'null' but all of the examples use finite segements, so I just went with a number high enough that it would never be reached.

I have a measure:

'Count Report Runs' =: COUNT('Report Creation'[Run.ID]) + 0

A measure was required because there are some reports which have never been run (hence the analysis effort!) so I need to be able to return a 0 (since you can't count rows that don't exsist).

Using my sample data, we can see that we get the following count results for each report

ReportCount'fake' count (See note below)
Name1323
Name2478
Name338
Name400

Now, let's pretend we have a lot more data, and it looks like the 3rd column.

In which case what I would like to be able to return is a visual that illustrates this:

ReportSegment Name
Name1Mid
Name2High
Name3Low
Name4Low

Or a matrix that might look like this (extrapolating run data):

ReportCY20CY21CY22
Name1LowMidMid
Name2HighMidHigh
Name3LowMidLow
Name4MidLowLow

hi @rpiboy_1 

try like:

Measure =
VAR _count = ['Count Report Runs']
RETURN
MINX(
    FILTER(
        RunSegments,
        RunSegments[Min]<=_count
            &&RunSegments[Max]>=_count
    ),
    RunSegments[SegmentName]
)

@FreemanZ thanks, that seems to work in a limited manner, now I'll have to compare it to what I was trying to do so I can understand it.

However, I can't seem to filter the table visual showing Report Name & Segement name so that I'm only looking at a list of Reports that are in the mid segement for instance... Any thoughts?

Thanks!

hi @rpiboy_1 

can you try to provide some usable sample data with expected result?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors