Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Keith3618
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic DAX Date Measure

I am trying to create a single measure that will calculate a date average, depending on the drill down on a time barchart.

The bar chart has 5 time pieces in the hierarchy. Year - Quarter - Month - Week -Day

As I drill through the bar chart, I want a measure that will dynamically calculate the Yearly Avg - Quarterly Avg - Monthly Avg, Weekly Avg, Daily Avg. For example, lets say the barchart is on the Year Level and displaying 4 bars representing 2016-2019. The vale of the measure would be COUNT(UnitID) / 4 because there are 4 bars currently displayed on the X axis.

Lets drill into 2018 to the month level. There are 12 bars representing Jan-Dec. The value of the measure would be COUNT(2018 UnitIDs) / 12 because there are 12 bars currently displayed on the X axis.

Lets drill into 2019 to the month level. There are only 10 bars representing Jan-Oct. The value of the measure would be COUNT(2019 UnitIDs) / 10 because there are only 10 bars currently displayed on the X axis.

Finally, lets not drill down, but just expand the hierarchy from year to month. We go from the yearly view showing 4 bars to the monthly view showing 12. But the Jan total is the sum of 2016Jan + 2017Jan + 2018Jan + 2019Jan. The measure needs to interpret this as COUNT(All UnitIDs) / 12 because there are 12 months currently displayed on the X Axis.

I'm basically trying to figure out how to create a measure that counts whatever number of values are on the X axis at any given time. Thank you all for your advice and feedback. I'm really looking forward to testing your responses and seeing if they work!

1 REPLY 1
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi, @Keith3618 

it would be really helpfull if you also could provide some mockups and examples with values, to get an idea of you desired output

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors