Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sandeepsingh
Frequent Visitor

Does ALL function accept table variable?

HI,

I tried to create a table in dax using the below code, I am getting a error message : 'The ALL function expects a table reference for argument '1', but a table expression was used.' Am I missing something here.

Table  =
Var MyTable = ALL(Sales)
Return
ALL(mytable)

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Technically, there is no context that would filter the table so all you need is:

Table = 'Sales'

It's automatically "all" because there is no filter or row context.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
AntrikshSharma
Community Champion
Community Champion

Nope, you are not allowed to use table expressions. but since you have assigned the table to the variable you don't need to use ALL again.

Table  =
Var MyTable = ALL(Sales)
Return
   MyTable

Honestly, I am building a complex dax query, wherein I am creating a table using summarize and add columns, I have stored the resultant table in a variable. But when I using the stored table variable again, I m getting the table expression error. ALL does not accept table variable, and what does actually is difference between table expression and a table reference.

I think that is because variables are static and when you store a value/table in a variable it is stored once it is evaluated and post that you can not change its contents,

I found the solution in the DAX documentation - 'The argument to the ALL function must be either a reference to a base table or a reference to a base column. You cannot use table expressions or column expressions with the ALL function.' So that the column has to be physically present in the model.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors