Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cassels
Advocate I
Advocate I

Divide column based on other two columns

Hi guys,

I have this table below, the only in my model. As you can see, the Volume (CY_B_Vol) only shows in the first week of each month.

I would like then to be split in weeks according to how many weeks we have in a month (if the month has 5 weeks, split (CY_B_Vol) by 20 if the month has 4 weeks split (CY_B_Vol) by 25), like in the yellow column.

Annotation 2020-01-07 131104.jpg

It seems like a simple thing to do, but I've been struggling with this for 2 days without a solution. ☹️

Could anybody help me, please?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Parisha
Employee
Employee

Hi , Try below

Firstly create a calculated column with below dax for filling all the rows  Column 2 = var cur='Table'[monthofyear] return if('Table'[monthofyear]=cur,(calculate(sum('Table'[cy-b-col]),filter('Table','Table'[monthofyear]=cur))))

Second Create an calculated TABLE with below dax and create a relationship between main table and this table with [monthofyear] Output = SUMMARIZE ( 'Table','Table'[monthofyear], "Count value", COUNT ( 'Table'[monthofyear] ) )

Now final create a calculated column as below CalculatedColumn = DIVIDE('Table'[Column 2],if(RELATED(Output[Count value])=5,20,25))

..Its a bit lengthy but will serve your purpose...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Parisha
Employee
Employee

Hi , Try below

Firstly create a calculated column with below dax for filling all the rows  Column 2 = var cur='Table'[monthofyear] return if('Table'[monthofyear]=cur,(calculate(sum('Table'[cy-b-col]),filter('Table','Table'[monthofyear]=cur))))

Second Create an calculated TABLE with below dax and create a relationship between main table and this table with [monthofyear] Output = SUMMARIZE ( 'Table','Table'[monthofyear], "Count value", COUNT ( 'Table'[monthofyear] ) )

Now final create a calculated column as below CalculatedColumn = DIVIDE('Table'[Column 2],if(RELATED(Output[Count value])=5,20,25))

..Its a bit lengthy but will serve your purpose...

JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

In Power Query Editor screen, select column CY_B_VOL and click on Fill (Down) in the Transform tab:

image.png

Then click Close & Apply and add a calculated column to your table:

CalculatedColumn = 
VAR _curMonth = Table[Month_of_Year]
RETURN
DIVIDE(Table[CY_B_Vol], COUNTROWS(FILTER(ALL(Table), Table[Month_of_Year] = _curMonth)))

Let me know if this works 🙂

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @JarroVGIT, thanks for your quick reply.

It actually didn't work. =/

First, the volume should not fill down, as I want the count to be done with the first value only.

Second, I need to divide the volume that appears in the first week of each month.

If the month is equal to 3,6,9 or 12, I would divide by 20, the others I would divide by 25. 

Anyhow, I appreciate your help 😃

Does your current model look like the table you gave us but without the yellow column? Or did I understand your question wrong? I assumed you have the white columns and you wanted the yellow column. Or are you missing the weeknumbers as well?

Hi @JarroVGIT , tks again 😃

Does your current model look like the table you gave us but without the yellow column? Correct! The yellow column is exactly what I want.
Or did I understand your question wrong? I assumed you have the white columns and you wanted the yellow column. Correct again
Or are you missing the weeknumbers as well? No, I'm not.

As you can notice, I'm a newbie. I don't know if my logic is good, but I thought maybe get the minimum value for the week (where the month is equal the selected one and divide (with if based on the month as well); however, I'm still trying to accomplish this.

I really appreciate your patience and attention 😃

Alright then my initial response gets you that yellow column. If you want the columns to be in there original state, please create a copy of column CY_B_Vol before using the Fill option in the Powerquery editor.

Hi @JarroVGIT , unfortunately not. =/

Below is what I get in my file doing exactly what you said.

Annotation 2020-01-09 010811.jpg

Can you share your pbix file by sharing a Dropbox/Google drive/OneDrive link? Your results are not in line with documented power bi behavior so the error must be somewhere else.

Or paste your PBIX file and I'll show it to you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors