Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StephenK
Resolver I
Resolver I

DistinctCount where Count > Than X

Hey all,

I'm having trouble getting my measure to work correctly. I have a fact table that looks like:

TestIDStudentIDDateResultIn Period
113/1/20FailYes
218/4/20FailYes
321/1/19PassYes

It's related to my User Dim table with cross filtering set to both.

I'm trying to get my measure to calculate a distinctcount of students who failed a test more than once in a 12 month period.

My current formula is:

Repeat Risk Users = 

var timesfailed = CALCULATE(COUNT('Fact Test Details'[TestID]),'Fact Test Details'[Result]="Fail",'Fact Test Details'[In Period]="Yes")

var repeatfail = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Fact Test Details'[StudentID]),FILTER('Fact Test Details',timesfailed>1))

Return
repeatfail

I've tried different variations of this, including trying a var summarize table, but nothing is giving me accurate numbers.

var timesfailed is giving the correct count of failures, but var repeatfail is giving an inaccurate result--way to high. No matter what i change the Filter timesfailed greater than to, the number is the same, unless I change it to =0.

Not sure what is wrong. Any suggestions would be awesome!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
StephenK
Resolver I
Resolver I

Looks like I got it working with this formula:

Times Failed = CALCULATE(COUNT('Fact Test Details'[TestID]),'Fact Test Details'[Result]="Fail",'Fact Test Details'[In Period]="Yes")

Repeat Failed =

Var FailCount = ADDCOLUMNS(SUMMARIZE('Fact Test Details','Fact Test Details'[StudentID]),"TimesFailed",[Times Failed])

Var _1 = FILTER(FailCount,[TimesFailed]>1)

Return COUNTROWS(_1)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenK
Resolver I
Resolver I

Looks like I got it working with this formula:

Times Failed = CALCULATE(COUNT('Fact Test Details'[TestID]),'Fact Test Details'[Result]="Fail",'Fact Test Details'[In Period]="Yes")

Repeat Failed =

Var FailCount = ADDCOLUMNS(SUMMARIZE('Fact Test Details','Fact Test Details'[StudentID]),"TimesFailed",[Times Failed])

Var _1 = FILTER(FailCount,[TimesFailed]>1)

Return COUNTROWS(_1)

@StephenK , Kudos to you. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@StephenK , Create a measure like this and use with StudentID

countx(summarize(Table, Table[StudentID], "_1", calculate(distinctcount(Table[TestID]), Table[Result]="Fail" && Table[In Period]="Yes")),[_1]>1)

@amitchandak  thanks for the response! This doesn't seem to work for me.

Repeat Failed =

COUNTX(SUMMARIZE('Fact Test Details','Fact Test Details'[StudentID],"TimesFailed",CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Fact Test Details'[TestID]),FILTER('Fact Test Details','Fact Test Details'[Result]="Fail" && 'Fact Test Details'[In Period]="Yes"))),[TimesFailed]>1)

I get an error saying "The function COUNTX cannot work with values of type Boolean." 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors