Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Discrepancy between measure and data view

I’m trying to count the number of times a product in the category Games was bought in the year 2020.

I have a table Products with a column [number], [date]  and [ category].  In this particular case the number is always 1 (i.e. A customer always buys just 1 item) and there are no empty rows. In Data view  I have filtered [date]  to only show records between 1-1-2020 and 31-12-2020 and [category] to only return the value ‘games’. This returns 448 filtered rows.

I have created a measure for the total number of products sold: Total Number = sum(Products[number]).

Then I created a measure for the total number of Games sold:  Total Number Games = Calculate([Total Number] , Products[cateogory] = “games”)

Both measures appear to work just fine.

However, when I plot Total Number Games, I see that there are 253 games sold. When I create a table showing the Total Number Games by Date, I see the same.

I expected a value of 448 since I have 448 rows in my Product table, all filed with the value “1” for [number].

What could be the cause for this discrepancy?

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since this looks to be a single-table model, you might be experiencing the bug that's called "auto-exist." Do yourself a big favour and refactor your model so that it adheres to Best Practices (meaning: star schema). If you want know why one-table models are BAD, BAD, BAD, you can go to this post: Why one-table models will produce WRONG NUMBERS - Microsoft Power BI Community

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors