Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Determining Headcount month by month based on hiring date, termination date, and employee ID

Hi all,

In dire need of help here. I have a HR dataset that contains Employee ID, Hiring Date, and Termination date. I am being asked to calculate total headcount from November 2020 until April 2021. 

The image shown below is the datamodel that I have created within PowerPivot/Power Query/InExcel. Please do not pay attention to the All_Data. This is irrelevant. The main focus is the Employee_Key with all relevant informaiton, and the dynamic Date table created. How can I go about creating a pivot table that shows month to month, the total headcount based on the hiring and term?

I would appreciate any help and insight I could get here.

Thank you.

rzgazaryan_0-1616794065874.png

1 REPLY 1
edhans
Super User
Super User

You need to do the following at least:

1. Make one of those relationships between the date table and employee_key table active. It cannot be more than one, and rarely should be less than one. That isn't never, but it is in this case. I assumed below it is the Hiring Date field.
  2. Drop the Month&YEar field from your Date table into the pivot table as a row.
  3. Use this measure - Hiring Date = COUNTROWS(EMPLOYEE_KEY)
  4. Use the below measure for the Term date count
Termination Date =
CALCULATE(
    COUNTROWS( EMPLOYEE_KEY ),
    USERELATIONSHIP ( EMPLOYEE_KEY[Termination Date], Date[Date] )
)

If that isn't what you need @Anonymous please post sample non-confidential data  for us to use per these links.

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.

How To Ask A Technical Question If you Really Want An Answer

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Give us a good and concise explanation
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Provide data in a table format per the link, or share an Excel/CSV file via OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.. Provide expected output using a screenshot of Excel or other image. Do not provide a screenshot of the source data. I cannot paste an image into Power BI tables.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors