Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MichelBrown
Regular Visitor

Dax weighted avg over three tables

Hello Community,

Can anyone help me with (for me another) DAX weighted average problem?

I have three tables, two unrelated fact tables with prices and volumes and one dimension date table:

MichelBrown_0-1669724910207.png

Now I want to calculate revenue but the result is incorrect on aggregated date level, so I probably first need a weighted average per time dimension (from the 20_dim_Dates table) before I can multipy with volumes

I know I should do something like this:

divide (SUMX(10_dim_Dates;PriceValue*ProductionVolume);ProductionVolume;0)

But this doesn't work. It keeps adding up the prices per day if you summerize per month or year, instead of taking a weighted average. I'm having trouble doing this over the three different tables. 

In the end my visual (or pivot table in Excel) should show price, volume and revenue per day, month or year from the 20_dim_DateTabel with a weighted average price per day, month or year and a correct sum of the revenue.

One complication: Table 110_fact_Prices contains an old and new price, labeld in the field 110_fact_Prices[PriceCategory] so my first step would probably be something like var OldPrice = calculate(sum(110_fact_Prices[PriceValue]);110_fact_Prices[PriceCategory]="Old Price") and then use the variable OldPrice in the measure. 

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Michel

2 REPLIES 2
MichelBrown
Regular Visitor

Thanks for looking into the topic, here are some more details to explain:

Results per month are ok, I can easily calculate the totals in Excel with sum and sumproduct 

MichelBrown_0-1669801954758.png

When I aggregate on year level, results are wrong: prices are added up and revenue is sum of volume X sum of prices, but this should be sum of volume x weighted average of prices:

MichelBrown_1-1669802121592.png

This is my price measure:

MichelBrown_2-1669802149917.png

And this is revenue:

MichelBrown_3-1669802170120.png

And here is an attempt at weighted average price that also doesn't work:

MichelBrown_4-1669802206135.png

Thanks again in advance for any support.

Michel

v-yinliw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MichelBrown ,

Could you please explain about the details of "keeps adding up the prices per day if you summerize per month or year", and what it looks like? 

Could you please provide some sample data to remove privacy or is it a screenshot?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Yinliw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors